Notices

Sober Saturday

Old 04-07-2013, 12:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober Saturday

Just made it through my first sober Saturday since... Well, I can't remember the last Saturday I was sober for.

It was hard though.. My family likes to share nasty quips about my alcoholism which really messes with my self-esteem and my thinking. But, I've come to realize its just a way for them to take the focus off of themselves. As we speak my two brothers are binge drinking (which I politely declined their invitation to join them) and will be driving under the influence back to their homes in a couple more hours.

Besides, I shouldn't concern myself so much with what other people say or think about me. I'm doing the best I can with little support (besides you lovely people) and that's all that really matters. That and I made it through Saturday sober.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Fantastic, well done. Like you so correctly said, at the end of the day as long as we get to bed sober (regardless of the problems we have faced) we go to bed winners. Sometimes it is all to easy to just get into bed without giving it a second thought. Or at least I do. But in reality just that one thing is the most important success that we can achieve.

Other people, not understanding alcoholism (or not wanting to), can spout a lot of ignorance. Just politely listen to them, let them have their say, then forget it! Unless they are trying to offer you support/help.

Today will be an even greater day for you. Be very kind to yourself and take things slow and keep things simple. Here's to a sober Sunday!!
Old 04-07-2013, 12:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done to you for being sober on saturday and for declining the offer!
Im on day 3 and on the same journey.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My two brothers, imo, are also fellow drunks as well but are in denial. I mean if you already have one DUI and continue to drive under the influence or have been arrested several times for drunk in public but continue to drink, you may have a drinking problem.

Planning on going for a run this beautiful Sunday morning then heading out to where the half marathon is scheduled to be so I wont be so anxious the day of the race and avoid getting lost. Having a much better Sunday than my knucklehead brothers.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done Newhope. From this day forth, today will be known as super sober Saturday!

The best thing I can think of when people insult you, it's really as if they are holding a mirror towards themselves.

You are amazing. Don't forget that!

S x
Old 04-07-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's awesome you made it through a sober Saturday! I've discovered the hard way I have to shut some people out of my life, especially in early recovery. Do what is best for you and your recovery!
Old 04-07-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Happy for you, newhope. It feels so good to come out into the sunshine again. You are free.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done Newhope. Ignore the naysayers; as the cliché goes: misery loves company. If I were a betting man (and I am) the odds are good you're sobriety will inspire a few of your family members to quit drinking.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Old 04-07-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Having the worst Sunday ever! For some reason, me and my boyfriend got in the most huge two hour argument over absolutely nothing. When I kept asking him what the real issue was he couldn't answer me. I ended up crying all the way back home from the location of the race site. And I still don't know what we were fighting about!

Now we're not talking at all to each other and he has had no problem mingling with his friends here. I feel like crap and moments like this make me want to drink. Its amazing how he can me want to drink a fifth and smoke a pack of cigarettes... I am holding true to my first sober weekend and am confident I won't drink (helps that I poured out the booze) but geez... this freaking sucks.