Notices

SR participation - medical professional's advice

Old 04-05-2013, 09:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

SR participation - medical professional's advice

I was just reading on a thread that a poster had gone to see medical personnel about some serious problems detoxing from alcohol.

This poster said the medical personnel forbid him to participate in any forums.

It seems strange that medical personnel would be against participating in this forum. I see a therapist specializing in addiction and she encourages me to participate here.
Also my Internist encourages my to participate here.

Has anybody else heard of medical personnel instructing a patient not to participate here? I you have did they say why?
Old 04-05-2013, 09:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

I can only speak for me.
Anything I said especially about what I "heard" during any of my detox's should and would of been taken very lightly.. Since I was no where near my right mind..
Old 04-05-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HappyDestiny3 View Post
I can only speak for me.
Anything I said especially about what I "heard" during any of my detox's should and would of been taken very lightly.. Since I was no where near my right mind..
Only reason I can imagine is that some posts from newcomers may be a trigger to someone detoxing, but truly I have no idea.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Been here 6 years, read hundreds of thousands of posts.
I've never heard of that before.

D
Old 04-05-2013, 10:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Zee

I just posted about that on his thread... strange eh?
Old 04-06-2013, 03:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

You know what they call the person who graduates last in their medical school class?

"Doctor"
Old 04-06-2013, 03:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I don't know ANYTHING about the post or situation you reference, but I want to say this. There are some personalties that can be aggravated by certain types of "therapy" that are often considered universally beneficial.

Certain types of meditation practices, for example, can wreak havoc with people who have certain mental/emotional disorders.

Also, there are people of certain personality types (some of them diagnosed personality disorders) who are known to take things out of context, and run with them. They could come on here, read some post, and either through paranoia or the grandiose thinking that comes with mania, take a shred of a thought there that "supports" their ideology and use it to justify all manner of bad decisions.

Again I have NO idea who this post or situation refers to, and it may be that the dr who made the suggestion is off base or uninformed. It could be that that dr has seen before other patients who participated in online forums that were not of the quality of this and got sidetracked in their recovery.

SR is an amazing place, but there are "recovery" forums out there that are way unhealthy. Just as there are some "bad" AA/NA meetings or other support groups that run amuck, there are many internet forums that allow people who are less than healthy to share their thoughts unchallenged.

So, I just want to offer some perspective before we unilaterally condemn this dr. A dr may know something about their patient that we on SR do not know. They may be working with someone who has oppositional disorder and who finds every justification possible to NOT cooperate with medical treatment, including taking comments out of context, etc.

I do have dual diagnosis. I know that there have been times in my history when I would have done the things mentioned above. I've done a lot of reading etc on psychological issues related to my personality disorders and addiction issues, and there ARE valid reasons that some people would be discouraged, at least for a time, to participate in an open forum.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Exactly, Threshold thank you for pointing out the subtle differences.
I did not see the post-poster either, but to post about not posting& participating under doctors advice says something.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear
Old 04-06-2013, 04:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

I thought it wasn't the doctor, but it was the EMT's.

And most likely they meant not to post and instead call 911 and tell them the information.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I think that's bad advice. My counselor recommends SR to her other clients as a valuable resource. I don't know why the EMTs would advise anyone to not participate in a recovery site..
Old 04-06-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Makes no sense at all, I read the post and it does not seem quite right IMO.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for everyone's input.

It makes sense that instructions might get a little scrambled if you're in detox.

Threshold also makes a really good point too.

I was just curious. Thanks again.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That was my situation. I am not allowed to post links yet, but there are 2 threads in which it is all explained.

Short version: the ambulance personnel advised against it, not forbade it. It was a strong recommendation.

I wish I could post links to the threads, but you can find them easily if you look through the posts. Both have DT's in the subject line.

If you are looking into it, please do read all of it to get the full picture because there have been some misunderstandings. And it's not that many posts.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I hope you are feeling better today!
Old 04-06-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

We don't give medical advice on this site.

This site has been extremely valuable as a resource in my road to sobriety for the last 20+ months of my 22+ months of continuous abstinence from alcohol or drugs.

I lurked on this site (read but did not post anything) for 8 years before I was really ready to stay stopped. I know I learned a lot during that time.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

All-

Just to be clear when I started this thread it wasn't about the situation for justsomedude.

My question was has anybody else received this "stay away from forums" directions from medical personnel.

Good luck to you dude! Whatever path takes you to a sober life.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only to incorporate any and all support I could get, including the use of the internet!