Notices

Just thinking out loud

Old 04-05-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just thinking out loud

I posted on here elsewhere that I Googled Celebrities who are recovering Alcoholics or addicts. Don't know why I guess that's what was on my Cranium at that point. It's odd but somehow it really inspired me to see these people who have a camera in their face all of the time trying to deal with addiction. Doesn't make them better at sobriety because of their Fame but like I said it just fascinated me. I also read about a lot of Celebs who lost their battles with addiction, most recently Mindy McCready. I was raised to never try and make yourself feel better because of someone else's misfortune but its a somber reminder that not everyone will get sober. Not everyone will stay sober. Not everyone will survive their addiction. If I'm going to become a statistic out of all of this I want to be on the list of those who achieved and maintained sobriety. My sister in laws brother jumped in front of a Train last week. He was a severe alcoholic who had just relapsed after 3 months sobriety. He left behind 2 daughters. I had another friend who, after losing his job and marraige due to alcoholism, was living under a bridge. None of us knew this until a passing motorist stopped his Motorcycle under that overpass to wait out a thunderstorm. He found my friend hanging there by his belt. I don't mean to try and bring you down. I'm just bringing it real. Keep on moving forward but unlike most I won't tell you to never look back. Sometimes it's good to look over your shoulder and see where you've been. If you made mistakes you don't want to forget them and if you've done something right you don't want to forget that either. Stay strong. Stay positive. Stay focused. Stay happy. Stay sober.

5-16-12
Old 04-05-2013, 09:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ok you got my attention. Pretty intense. Makes you wonder why some of us find recovery and others don't. If you are new here today, consider it a gift. What would you do with a new gift? You wouldn't throw it away right? You'd take care of it right? So grateful for this gift of sobriety! Thanks for the thread!
Old 04-06-2013, 03:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I know that I've thrown away many a perfectly nice gift because I was somehow resentful of it, or what it represented.

When I work hard to earn something for myself I am much more likely to take care of it...a LOT like sobriety. If someone forced me into rehab, I might well throw those 6 weeks of sobriety away first chance I got. but if I work for it myself....

The reality of addiction is pretty grim. Thanks for keeping it real.