Notices

Struggling

Old 04-04-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling

I am two days away from 4 weeks without alcohol. I am on spring break this week (I work at a school), and I planned to clean the house up and down. I have been paralyzed. One of my favorite things to do was drink beer, open the windows, and clean. Over the years, I ended up drinking more than cleaning....
So this week, I thought, I will be alcohol free, and not hung over, or distracted from alcoholic giddiness and interest in menial things.

The opposite is true. I am just sitting here all week thinking about not going to the store to get beer to enjoy while I clean. I am so frustrated.

Where is this new energy I am supposed to have??

I just feel paralyzed and inept.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
BCS

I can relate. There is nothing like a good spring cleaning and that usually involved a bottle. I can't speak the the feelings that you are having, but I can offer suggestions to get through it. Take little steps. Is there something in your house that is especially disorganized? Spice rack, closet, kitchen cabinets, etc. Tackle one small job at a time and really take notice of how good it looks when you are finished. It still feels great to open the windows and freshen up your home. You just have to relearn how to do it without booze.

Good luck
Old 04-04-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, that is the problem. I know that when you stop doing any bad behavior they tell you to stop associating with things that encourage that behavior. Problem is, that most of my behavior was in the privacy of my own home.

I stopped going out drinking with people because I was tired of making a fool of myself.

I just feel utterly unmotivated. I find I am able to clean things later at night when I should be going to bed. My motivation kicks in then.

Right now, being at home is working against me.....
Old 04-04-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Can ya get out to an AA meeting and talk to other recovering alcoholics?
Old 04-04-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Blunderite, just to let you know, my couch and I were inseparable during the first week of withdrawals. Don’t let the fatigue and lack of motivation frustrate you, it will pass and we still have a couple of months to complete that spring cleaning!
Old 04-04-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
LDT

Give yourself some time. At one month I was still dragging myself through my day. It takes a while longer for our bodies to heal from all our abuse. I had to relearn how to do literally everything without booze. The good news is it happens! Baby steps......

Congrats on your month, blunderite1.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! @Sugarbear, I don't know how comfortable I am about going to AA. I know that it helps so many people, but I just don't know if I am ready for that step.

My husband has been wonderful. I even told him before the break that I was thinking of just drinking this week some, while I clean. And then stopping next week. He is the reason that I didn't. He very positively told me that he thought I shouldn't because it would break my momentum and hinder the cleaning process!!

Well, my momentum is still there, but talk about a disappointing weak of cleaning. I always clean my kitchen because I have to. My dog eats organic and non-organic items left stray in there, but just blah blah blah.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have this problem for some things. I really enjoy rebuilding old furniture, but when sanding and re-staining or painting, I'd always drink to make the time go by . . . A man alone with his thoughts, a bottle of whiskey, a paint brush and some stain....

Right now I'm stuck with a half stained bunk bed for my daughter, because I'm having a very difficult time keeping motivated to finish it, sober...

One thing that has kind of worked, I took my Liquor money and bought some really nice coffee, and a single cup maker. And I drink that during projects, I've noticed that I obsess over the flavor, too bitter? too sweet? just right, not dark enough... etc trying to find the perfect level of creme/sugar in the raw... etc...

Its not nearly as effective at keeping me motivated as liquor, but its the best I got right now.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
BCS

Originally Posted by Dib42 View Post
Its not nearly as effective at keeping me motivated as liquor, but its the best I got right now.
I know what you mean. I thrive on caffeine nowadays.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

yeah, I am drinking more coffee, water, eating more food... still that hollow hole there...

I was thinking about Red Bull. I have never like it. I never really drink sodas and things.

Has anyone had success with it? I know it is supposed to be chocked full of vitamins.

I bought a B complex, and I read somewhere that thiamine is supposed to work wonders. Have had trouble finding it though.

Anybody know of a good vitamin cocktail to help battle post-alcoholic laziness??
Old 04-04-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't think there is any health benefits to Red Bull, sorry to say... BUT I will be honest, I love Red Bull! I drink one on my way to work (I'm a nurse and work 7pm to 7am) and it really works plus I like the fizz it has.....
Old 04-04-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by blunderite1 View Post

Anybody know of a good vitamin cocktail to help battle post-alcoholic laziness??
PALS, post addiction laziness syndrome.

My cure has been a pal, my AA sponsor. He inspires me to get things done!
Old 04-04-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 3girls1husband View Post
I don't think there is any health benefits to Red Bull, sorry to say... BUT I will be honest, I love Red Bull! I drink one on my way to work (I'm a nurse and work 7pm to 7am) and it really works plus I like the fizz it has.....

Oh, I thought it had lots of vitamin b in it which is why it gives the boost. Does it work better than coffee?
Old 04-04-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Four weeks is still early in recovery. Give your body and brain more time to get back to normal functioning. Be sure to treat yourself well, as far as good food, rest, and exercise. Don't worry, your energy should come back, and if not, then it's time to have a medical check up.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Question

Originally Posted by least View Post
Four weeks is still early in recovery. Give your body and brain more time to get back to normal functioning. Be sure to treat yourself well, as far as good food, rest, and exercise. Don't worry, your energy should come back, and if not, then it's time to have a medical check up.
Thanks everyone!!

Well, this is an off subject question, but how do you put that signature line at the bottom of your posts?
Old 04-04-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

One thing I started doing to replace the booze while cleaning was putting on a movie or tv show while cleaning. I have an ipad, so I just stream my favorite TV show at the time (right now Doctor Who!) and take the ipad where ever I am working. This helps because 1. it is like a treat (booze used to be my "treat") 2. It makes me feel less lonely (booze used to be my "companion") and 3. It helps my thoughts race less while working (booze used to be my "distraction"). If you don't have an ipad, you could use your phone, or have tv on in another room.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thisisforellie View Post
One thing I started doing to replace the booze while cleaning was putting on a movie or tv show while cleaning. I have an ipad, so I just stream my favorite TV show at the time (right now Doctor Who!) and take the ipad where ever I am working. This helps because 1. it is like a treat (booze used to be my "treat") 2. It makes me feel less lonely (booze used to be my "companion") and 3. It helps my thoughts race less while working (booze used to be my "distraction"). If you don't have an ipad, you could use your phone, or have tv on in another room.
Hahaha, that won't work. My ritual morphed into streaming movies or shows that I loved, and knew in the background, beer or wine, and cleaning. Taking breaks here and there to sit and watch a little, drink a little. The breaks became longer and cleaning less. I have worked myself into quite a mess.

At least if I had continued drunken associations outside the home that would be a lot easier to avoid.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi blunderite1, I am experiencing the same thing you are. I am only on Day 4, which makes it easier to give in and drink "one more time". I used to love cooking, cleaning etc while drinking. It always motivated me for some reason. Now I feel a little lost and unmotivated. Missing the drink, but not missing the day after. That is what has gotten me to day 4, that and this forum. Great job on getting to a month, sure hope I can get there.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Perhaps I'm experiencing a bit of this too.
I am also only on Day 4. I can't seem to get anything to come out of my pencils...
I draw--illustrate for a living and work from home. It's been pretty much at a standstill this week.
I wouldn't always work with a drink, but I can tell you it was more often than not that I did.
My deal was beer, too. Honestly? I bought a 6 pack of Coke, and have some freezing "cold ones" in the fridge. For whatever reason the feeling of the can is a comfort.
I also agree that early in this process ya gotta be gentle with yourself.
I'm trying to associate my home drinking activities with how I'm feeling now, and that's pretty dang good.
I even did my laundry last night and this morning. Which, as my wife will tell you: Is kind of like landing on Mars. Possible, but very unlikely without the help of rocket scientists.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Your post is very familiar to me...drinking beers and cleaning, then it got to every time I was on my computer, painting,etc......anything I wasn't all that excited about doing, I would be drinking those damn beers! So I have close to a month of sobriety,turning any thought of drinking away. It's been very tough, as I was in a large depressive "phase" already...I like what others have said...take it slow, take the pressure off, maybe ask your husband to help as he sounds supportive, or wait until your energy has normalized...It takes time !