Notices

NA vs AA Meeting Format

Old 04-04-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

NA vs AA Meeting Format

Hi all, I've recently started attending some NA meetings; however, I also am attending a support group directed entirely at medical professionals (paramedics, firefighters, nurses, doctors, pts, etc.) and during my first meeting (last night) someone mentioned that they flip-flop between NA and AA format for the meetings. I didn't think to ask later what that meant, but could someone shed some light on what the difference is in the meeting formats?

Anyways, I'm really glad to be on this path and to have such great people around me. I can only hope that you all on this forum are as supportive as the amazing people I've met so far at NA. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

As I understand, the "format" of the meeting is determined by the group.

Perhaps they switch between using AA and NA literature.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'm wondering if that's what they meant too. I've been looking around and I'm wondering if it might just be the literature they read and the phrasing they use. The group is amazing though. I am a newly minted addict - meaning I've been an addict my whole life, but just hit the bottom with the latest go around and realized, "Oh, I'm an addict." It has been a crazy week and a half, but at least I'm taking the first steps down the road to recovery.

Thanks for your response. I'll probably ask them the next time I make it in to the meeting what they meant by that, just to be sure.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

The formats in both groups very meeting to meeting, that is the group conscience choice.

The big difference other than drinking and drugs obviously, Is AA has the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous, and NA theirs Narcotics Anonymous..

No matter what works for you do , do it..