Notices

Know There is a problem...

Old 04-03-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool Know There is a problem...

Hi all!
I am 26 and live in one of the biggest drinking cities in the US... San Francisco. I live in a very trendy neighborhood with a different bar on every corner. I also work in the industry which is good money. The problem got worse when I decided i no longer had to drive. I was much more responsible when i knew i had to drive. I like to have a few shots before work, and after. I usually only go a few days without drinking. The amount of money i spend on liquor bothers me more than what i may be doing to my health. Since my friends and I all bartend, we never drink at our apartments. I've done the math and it's at least 1000 a month. my goal is to move to New York by august but keep throwing away massive amounts of money. It's so difficult for me to just go home after work. I am a social drinker, so don't want to buy booze and drink at home in order to save money. It's like a big catch 22. I thiink i may have to finally just quit drinking all together.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You can always get more money, but you only have one body. And no amount of money can repair the damage alcohol will eventually do to your body if you abuse it enough.

If you are simply trying to quit to save money or find a way to drink cheap, SR is not the place for you. If you are truly looking to quit to better yourself, welcome. There are many resources here to help with your journey.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

I know Washington, DC has meetings for your industry at various times, although the one that happens when the bars close happens to be the largest in attendance.

Maybe try calling your local AA Intergroup Office (search: aa san francisco ca then look for the site that ends with .org) maybe you have similar meetings in your area (they aren't always listed, though).

I wish you well on your sober journey!
Old 04-03-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope we can help you decide to quit drinking completely. Life is so much better sober.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoLongerMe View Post

Hi all!
I am 26 and live in one of the biggest drinking cities in the US... San Francisco. I live in a very trendy neighborhood with a different bar on every corner. I also work in the industry which is good money. The problem got worse when I decided i no longer had to drive. I was much more responsible when i knew i had to drive. I like to have a few shots before work, and after. I usually only go a few days without drinking. The amount of money i spend on liquor bothers me more than what i may be doing to my health. Since my friends and I all bartend, we never drink at our apartments. I've done the math and it's at least 1000 a month. my goal is to move to New York by august but keep throwing away massive amounts of money. It's so difficult for me to just go home after work. I am a social drinker, so don't want to buy booze and drink at home in order to save money. It's like a big catch 22. I thiink i may have to finally just quit drinking all together.

I, too, work in the industry so I can relate on the difficulty of abstinence when there is constant pressure from peers and even the presence of substance.

I did the calculations and have probably spent 500-600 a month on my habit but I drink at home.

I wish you luck in recovering your physical and financial health.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome nolongerme

Not being me anymore bothered me more than money or health to be honest.

I think most times for people who feel driven to post here the only way out is to stop drinking period - you'll find that difficult with your lifestyle and job...but if you're prepared to make a few changes you can do it

you'll find a lot of support here
D