Notices

Day 1

Old 04-02-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

Hello Everyone,
Today is day one sober for me and I have a bad hangover. I've been using alcohol as a crutch to help deal with loneliness for as long as I remember. It doesn't help that I also suffer from depression. When my depression gets worse, my edge to drink kicks in. My husband works a lot and I have no children, no family or friends when I live. I also work from home, so I am isolated. I am a closet drinker and only drink when I'm alone. Last night, my husband came home from work and I was passed out. He found the vodka bottle that I was hiding. I can't pretend anymore that I can control my drinking, because I can't.
I'm tired of hiding, tired of feeling ashamed, tired of ruining my marriage and my life.
Today is my first day to commit to a sober life. I know I can do it and it helps to be here and know that I'm not alone.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well your certainly not alone here!! Only been on this site a few days and there are some amazingly positive people here

Welcome Heidy! Check out the April Class if you want to work through it all with us!
Old 04-02-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

((Heidy)) - Welcome to SR and congratulations on day 1!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-02-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Heidy

D
Old 04-02-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Heidy, I am on Day 2, you should join the Class of April group. I, too, starting drinking a lot out of loneliness. Was single and living alone, far from any family so I would come home from work and look forward to having my glass of wine. That glass turned into 2, then a bottle, then 2 bottles. Thinking that I was developing a problem because of loneliness I decided to move back to my hometown to be near family. Almost 5 years later I am married with a 3 year old daughter. I have everything I ever wanted, but the old drinking pattern still returned and has gotten worse over the last 2 years. Drinking and hiding vodka instead of wine and feeling miserable and ashamed the next day. I have finally accepted that I am an alcoholic and nothing will change that except complete abstinence and a support program (so far SR). Welcome, you are not alone!
Old 04-02-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Heidy! I've found this forum to be a wonderfully supportive place to read about other's situations and get great feedback. Congratulations on your decision! I can sort of relate to your situation, I'm not married, but I do live alone with no children and have worked from my home office for over five years. I was always a very private drinker and used alcohol to pass the time of being alone. I've found however, that after I made the decision to completely cut alcohol out of my life, that living alone actually worked to my benefit. Having the privacy to be honest with myself and emotions and work through it without interference or peer pressure has proved to be very beneficial for me.

You are not alone Heidy! You have a huge support system here on SR!
Old 04-02-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your words and support! I'm feeling more positive already. I'm so grateful I found this groupthanks
Old 04-02-2013, 03:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Heidy, Welcome!
Change husband to wife, and our posts would be the same.
I work from home, hid my drinking, and low and behold: found I could not control it.
So much support here. Read, read, read, and read some more.
It's amazing what a little information can do to boost your confidence. Tips, "tricks", on how to feel a little better as your body gets rid of the alcohol.
Day 3, and I feel a bit foggy, and shaky--but--absolutely nothing like I would after a decent day/night of drinking. It seriously gets better.
Welcome.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Happy to meet you, Heidy! This is a wonderful place where you'll fit right in. We all understand what you're going through.

For me, it got to the point where drinking didn't give me any pleasure or relief from problems. It WAS the problem. I was filled with misery and dread every day. I don't know why I was so afraid to let go of it, but now that it's out of my life I feel free. You can do this, Heidy.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family! You've made a good decision and you won't regret it, I promise you.

I quit drinking over three years ago and my life is quite different now. Yours can be too.