Notices

Sick of myself

Old 04-02-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sick of myself

I'm so sick of being a drunk. I am ruining being a grandpa, my job, my marriage, my life.I'm not suicidal but I'm not alive either.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to the right place to find some answers. If you want to stop, there's better times ahead if you're willing to learn and work.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have good news for you. You don't have to be a drunk anymore! Read around here for suggestions on staying sober and then follow them. No more being a drunk! I gave up being a drunk over three years ago and don't regret a minute of it. I wake up feeling good and go to bed feeling good. No more hating myself.

You can do this!!
Old 04-02-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You can change all those things if you want Darrell. It's 100% within your grasp, all you have to do is decide to put down the bottle/glass. SR is a great place to find out how, and find other resources to help you along the way. What's stopping you from making today your first sober day?
Old 04-02-2013, 12:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I made my first post today too. i too am tired of being a drunk. I know what's stopping me... fear, judgement, uncertainty, reality. It's scary!

But I think we can do it. I'm terrified. In fact I don't even know if I'll do anything today but I know i have to do something soon.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by DoloresHaze View Post
I know what's stopping me... fear, judgement, uncertainty, reality. It's scary!
I remember being afraid when I first joined here because I had tried hundreds of times to throttle back or stop - and they had all failed. I didn't know what I was going to do to get myself to stop. My fear was based largely on not knowing. My addiction was mysterious to me - and that made it scary.

For me, the key was knowledge. I learned why I crave alcohol, and I learned what to do about that. Once I understood my addiction it lost its magical powers. And I lost my fear.

Different strokes for different folks applies to alcoholics, too. There are many paths to sobriety. Educate yourself and find the one that will work for you.

You can do this.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by darrell2662 View Post
I'm so sick of being a drunk. I am ruining being a grandpa, my job, my marriage, my life.I'm not suicidal but I'm not alive either.
I know the feeling. I got to the point where I was suicidal.

Alcoholics Anonymous got me sober and sane ... and the granddaughters love their Papa.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-02-2013, 03:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Darrell
There's a ton of support here. Hope we hear from you some more

D
Old 04-02-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Darrell! I was desperate and miserable when I joined here, too. Life was passing me by. I found so many people like me here at SR - that I didn't feel alone anymore. They gave me the courage and support I needed to make the big change to a sober life. I drank for 30 yrs. and now have 5+ sober.

You can stop the unhappiness and trapped feeling you're experiencing now. You don't have to accept that old, sick way of life. We're glad you're here with us - you can do this, Darrell.