Old 04-01-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sucess stories

I need some success stories please!!!
Old 04-01-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Well, there are many double winners here who are a success in action, having fought the battle from both sides and come out sober and sane.

And a few forums up there are many success stories, people with 1 year, 5 years, 10 years and more.

Mine is a different kind of success story. My addicted loved one, my son, is still lost out there somewhere doing what addicts do, and has been missing over 8 years now. The success story is mine, I overcame living in fear 24 hours a day seven days a week, I overcame the obsession to try to save what was not mine to save and to fix what was not mine to fix. His addiction almost killed me, I am certain of that.

By the grace of God, and the grace of my live meetings and everyone here at SoberRecovery, I found peace and acceptance and learned to turn my son's care over to God each morning...then live my life as it was intended to be lived, finding joy and beauty in every single day.

I am the success in my story, I overcame obstacles and pain that no mama should ever have to encounter, I overcame darkness so deep that I could not find the light again, I overcame wanting to die and today I embrace each day and find happiness even on the bad days.

That's success. That's what our recovery is all about.

Hugs
Old 04-01-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, I'm a recovered addict. My drug of choice was crack and I smoked about an ounce a day. My 250 lb frame was down to 120 lbs. I lost half my teeth. In detoxing from crack my heart gave out and when the paramedics arrived I had no heartbeat. Upon rescucitation I found I could no longer read or write, nor could I walk unassisted. The doctors doubted that I would ever regain what I had lost - my heart was stopped for too long.

I have been clean for over twenty years now. I am back up to 250 lbs. I have written a book and am under contract from my publisher for two more. I have completed a marathon under my own power. More important than all that - my father respects me, my children look up to me, and my wife loves me.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Well done, Legna. You are a beacon of hope to everyone here, thank you for sharing your story.

Hugs
Old 04-01-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's wonderful!
Old 04-01-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have quit using psychedelics and marijuanna. My BF is currently 3 months sober from opiates and in an inpatient treatment facility. I wouldnt call it a success story though. I love this quote:

"There are no happy endings, because nothing ever ends."
Old 04-01-2013, 09:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My husband will have One Year clean from opiates at the end of this month
Old 04-01-2013, 11:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think my daughter has three years of recovery from her IV opiate addiction.

I have several years of recovery too, based on the simple fact I stopped keeping track of her addiction
Old 04-02-2013, 03:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thats what i want also im 4 days into leaveing my herion addict fiance and im just woundering i reald all about people who dont get there loved ones bk is there any stories were the loved one actully gets better and resums to normal life again xx
Old 04-02-2013, 05:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know several people who have long term recovery. It is possible for anyone who wants it bad enough. But we can't want it "bad enough" for them.....they have to do that for themselves.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 04-02-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My oldest brother has 19+ months clean. He has tools to deal with life on life's terms. He wants to live. He's growing by leaps and bounds and me along with him.

We nearly lost him. It felt hopeless. At one point I could not have imagined that he would find faith, hope and zeal for life but today he has it.

The post below is from the day that he sent me a text message saying goodbye. There are a few updates in there. I don't think what I wrote truly conveys the distress I was under at the time.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-you-pray.html
Old 04-03-2013, 10:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My son is now 21 months in to his recovery from heroin addiction. It was a struggle, those first few months, but life is so much better for all of us now. He is engaged to be married. He seems to be putting forth a mature effort in his life now. Cutting him loose when he was living at home with us was the biggest gift to both him and us we could have given him. His dad and I are hopeful for him and his fiancee. Amazing what a difference two years can make!
Old 04-03-2013, 10:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I went NC permanently......but the C option kinda went away.

(I think they call that a pyrrhic victory)
Old 04-03-2013, 11:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vale View Post
I went NC permanently......but the C option kinda went away.

(I think they call that a pyrrhic victory)
This is a great success for you vale
Old 04-04-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

I am the ex wife of, mother of, sister of, friend of and i think daughter of . . .

daughter - my dad said "i don't know if I was an alcoholic or not, but when I drank whiskey I didn't want to stop and it sure changed who I was." He passed away 09-11-2011 - sober - did it on his own
friends - I have several friends - some sober, some not
Sister - my baby brother has 16 yrs in recovery
Mother - I have daughter who has struggled with this disease for over 15 yrs - today she has over a year sober again - tomorrow - only she & her HP know
I have a step-son who is in the active part of his disease with drugs & alcohol - Mr.PINK & I are raising his 8 yr old daughter
my exAh - had 2 1/2 yrs sober and relapsed and could never get it back on track - today he is in the depths of his disease, i left that insanity almost 5 yrs ago.

ME - I have almost 10 yrs in Al-Anon - humbly grateful that all these people that I care for our given to their HP - because I learned only HE can help them - I can't. Today I choose to live Happy, Joyous and PINKFully Free trying to practice these principle's in all my affairs and to be grateful for all that I have - because life is a blessing - I just had to open my mind to realize it.

That my friend is my success story -

Wishing you the best in writing yours ~
pink hugs ~