Notices

Been Here Before

Old 04-01-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Been Here Before

Day one, trying again. The longest I have ever gone is 30 days 2 years ago on this site. I am already having the doubting thoughts about my life. I have a set goal. I would like to quit so that I can quit having the bad thoughts and nervous breakdowns. I dont do anything crazy when I drink I stay in alone. My biggest reason for quitting besides the anxiety is to get back into shape. Every time I start this I get the sinking thoughts and always think of forever. I know that I will feel better and this is the right thing but I always wonder how life is going to be that is my biggest question every time. Im sure that it will be better than it is now I hope.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
All is Change

The Future is a product of the Present. The seeds you plant in your todays will give you the harvest of your future todays. It will be better. Focus on the present.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Dee posted a good saying a while back.

The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best time is now.

Glad you're back giving it another try.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi there EdHarley, I remember you. I made the 30 day mark, oh... a few times. I made the 3 week mark, 2 week, 1 week....also a few times. I had a heck of a time getting sober. But, I finally did!
Maybe this will help, (you mention staying sober for 30 days), my magic number was 90 days. I noticed when I made that 90 days, the mental obsession had disappeared. the mental obsession had been the most difficult obstacle in my path to recovery, so for it to disappear was a big deal. Without that voice in my head suggesting that curative drink, I found that I thought less and less about a drink and things that once triggered me didn't bother me anymore.
Hang in there: it CAN be done!
Old 04-01-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EDHARLEY View Post
Day one, trying again. The longest I have ever gone is 30 days 2 years ago on this site. I am already having the doubting thoughts about my life. I have a set goal. I would like to quit so that I can quit having the bad thoughts and nervous breakdowns. I dont do anything crazy when I drink I stay in alone. My biggest reason for quitting besides the anxiety is to get back into shape. Every time I start this I get the sinking thoughts and always think of forever. I know that I will feel better and this is the right thing but I always wonder how life is going to be that is my biggest question every time. Im sure that it will be better than it is now I hope.
Ed, you sound like me with the nervous breakdowns, psyche wards and suicide attempts.

The only goal that made recovery possible for me was the decision to commit to Alcoholics Anonymous.

If you can get sober and sane by any other method... go for it. AA was the last resort for me and it works.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-01-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome back, Ed!

I agree with Bob R: AA is the only thing that has kept my wife and me sober.

It's very likely that there is a meeting soon near you!
Old 04-01-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Ed - whats your plan for staying sober?

D
Old 04-01-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I remember you too, Ed. Glad you decided to come back and give this another shot. We know you can do it.