Notices

Continuous sobriety

Old 04-01-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Continuous sobriety

Hey all, good morning.
October 1 I put into action my decision to stop drinking. I had to feel things all over again. I had to live life. I had to not escape. I got to see things for what they were, making me a rotten bitchy sober woman. So I kept staying sober til the end of january. I had 116 days, and decided to prove everyone wrong. I mean I spent all that time soul searching and digging deep and staying away from the drink. It was time I could enjoy a glass here or there. And I did for about a month, every weekend. I found excuses why aa wasn't working for me, I was seeking out differences and mainly I was constantly thinking about how I could manage this ridiculous ride. Until I discovered a new bottom and that was 35 days ago. I have had as if today, 34 more days of continuous sobriety, but: I am not that rotten cranky bitch I was back in October. Something changed, the obsession is gone. Alcohol is not an option.

Recovery, for me, is far more than just putting the drink down! It's moving through life, actually living without it, and not being angry about it. That's what it is to me--- yes it can be done!!! But I can't do it alone, having found new friends in aa helps me so much.

Anyone who was willing to read and is still struggling-- keep with it! Once alcohol or drugs become a lesser part of your life, your life gets so much bigger and better! Best wishes xoxo Sarah
Old 04-01-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well said !
Old 04-01-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you follow your sponsor and the oldtimers you will be well ... and you'll be the last one to know it.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-01-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good job falling! My life became so much easier when drinking was no longer a choice. I made the decision not to drink ever regardless of how I feel.

Enjoy!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Agreed ru! Living my life based on feelings will get me in trouble! It took a long time to figure that out! Lol
Old 04-01-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

"Alcohol is not an option"

If you're addicted to alcohol, that's the most liberating statement of all time.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fallingtogether View Post
Recovery, for me, is far more than just putting the drink down! It's moving through life, actually living without it, and not being angry about it. That's what it is to me--- yes it can be done!!!
Thank Falling. I agree 100%. I know I'll never remain sober if I simply abstain from drinking and using other substances. I'll need to jump back into life; become engaged in life; find a way to build a rewarding, satisfying life without alcohol or drugs.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes! When I accepted that alcohol was no longer an option for me, everything began to shift and my mind worked in new and healthy ways.

Congratulations on getting to 34 days sober and feeling good about it.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Non,

I remember when I was suffering from a terrible binge from the night before and I went to a meeting. A guy took one look at me and said "You never have to drink again and you never have to feel like this either." Then he smiled and shook my hand. He changed my life. Just the thought that I could put this stuff down and get on with my life as a sober man made all the difference. I do regret that I felt so bad that I can't even remember what he looked like so I never got to thank him properly.

Sometimes I still will go to an AA meeting (and I'm not AA) just to shake the hand of a new comer and to tell him what that guy told me.

Enjoy!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Living sober rocks!
Old 04-01-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations Sarah

D