Notices

What will it be like...

Old 03-31-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What will it be like...

Hi, just a quick hello and bit of background for me -

I've been drinking for around 10 years, during that time I've had disastrous relationships due to excessive daily drinking. My health is suffering and it's really time I sorted things out.

I know drink is also holding me back in achieving the things I want in life.

Day 2 so far and looking forward to join the April group.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

So glad you joined us! Do check out the class of April thread (when it gets started tomorrow, that is). You'll find a lot of support and encouragement here.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Welcome medion! What's the plan to stay quit?
Old 03-31-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi,

Plan is to stay busy after work and when I'm home to be distracted - video games initially, though perhaps something more physical as I feel better and get my energy back - I'd like to take up running again in the evenings.

I'd also be very interested to know people's experience of food/diet as part of recovery - both to fill some time i have being sober and to give my body the best chance to recover.

Many thanks for your kind welcomes.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Medion,

Welcome to SoberRecovery!

A well-balanced diet with several meals a day is a good idea if your doctor says you are in good health. A vitamin B supplement, and a lot of other things, are often recommended; check out the health and nutrition threads. There are exercise threads too!
Old 03-31-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Medion - we're so glad you joined us. You now have plenty of company - we all understand what it's like when you first quit. It really helps to share with people who are going though the same thing. No one in my life could relate to what I went through.

Congratulations on Day 2. It will get easier.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Medion - I'll have 90 days sober on 2-April. Exercise, mostly road cycling, helped me make it thru the first 3 weeks or so which were my most trying days. Those feel good, exertion induced endorphins were a key tool to help stay the sober course. Keeping well hydrated and a multi-vitamin with extra B/C supplements were also a part of my regiment but you should consult with your doctor first.

Many, many positive things resulted when I stopped poisoning myself with alcohol. I'm only at 90 days but have not felt this good physically/mentally/emotionally in 20 yrs. I hope the same and more for everyone choosing the sober way of living.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Hi Medion,
Quit 10 months ago from being a drinker for 25 years and a heavy drinker the last 5-10 years of it. Ran 6 miles today and Friday. Run almost every day, but usually about 2-3 miles. Do kettlebells once or twice a week. I try to eat lots of fruits and vegetables along with a multi-vitalmin, milk thistle, a probiotic and EFA omega 3. I didn't run before I quit. I have lost about 20 lbs. Feel outstanding. I find running to be a great way to rid myself of anxiety and depression. Eating healthy also makes a big difference. Just as important for me is playing guitar. If you have an interest in something, I suggest you explore it. It is a great way to refocus your energy in another direction like running does also. I also agree that the release of endorphins while running helps curve cravings.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just joined the April group, looking forward to seeing you there!!
Old 03-31-2013, 11:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Definitely get a good vit b supplement and I find magnesium and zinc good too for sleep help and skin help. Water water water. I find I drink a lot of liquids anyway , apart from alcohol , my soda stream saves my life. Indulge in some yummy food ! Whatever you fancy , I love Thai so I eat heaps of that which is all good vege and meat anyway. Be kind to yourself. It's actually hard to do that but it does work
X
Old 04-01-2013, 04:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I am going to see a nutritionist today to get a meal plan. I have always struggled with my weight but I thought not drinking would help... Not so much.