Notices

Feeling lost without alcohol

Old 03-31-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Feeling lost without alcohol

Hi. This is new to me and so is my sobriety! I have been sober almost 5 months now, after a brief time in a rehab and have been going to AA meetings regularly--usually 4-6 times a week. In the last couple of weeks I have been feeling very irritable, depressed and basically miserable. I feel like a shell of a person with no real emotions, especially happiness. it's like since alcohol is gone, i am just left with myself and don't know what to do. It's a really strange feeling and i feel like it is consuming my thoughts. I have a family to take care of and don't want to keep thinking about myself but can't seem to stop. I am also being very forgetful and having alot of trouble concentrating. Not sure what is going on. Can anyone relate?
Old 03-31-2013, 04:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's possible that your feelings and inability to concentrate are due to PAWS; post acute withdrawal syndrome. It's the body and brain healing and it takes time and there's some bumps in the road on the way to wellness. Google PAWS and see if the symptoms match yours. I know I had trouble in early sobriety.

My emotions were all over the map and I couldn't concentrate on anything, felt positively stupid. But it got better with time. I would suggest if you don't start feeling 'normal' within a few months that you see your doctor to rule out physical causes.

to the family!

Post-Acute Withdrawal Symptoms - Relapse Prevention Strategies
Old 03-31-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberhope View Post
Hi. This is new to me and so is my sobriety! I have been sober almost 5 months now, after a brief time in a rehab and have been going to AA meetings regularly--usually 4-6 times a week. In the last couple of weeks I have been feeling very irritable, depressed and basically miserable. I feel like a shell of a person with no real emotions, especially happiness. it's like since alcohol is gone, i am just left with myself and don't know what to do. It's a really strange feeling and i feel like it is consuming my thoughts. I have a family to take care of and don't want to keep thinking about myself but can't seem to stop. I am also being very forgetful and having alot of trouble concentrating. Not sure what is going on. Can anyone relate?
What does your sponsor say about how you feel? Have you talked to the AA oldtimers in your group?

We go through some real stages in recovery and sticking with the winners in your group will get you through. This too shall pass.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-31-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Hey, run down the the drug store and buy a cheap disposable camera. Go take pictures of whatever strikes your fancy. Rush to the store, get the pictures put on paper, digital media whatever and

ENJOY your creativity!