It REALLY Has Become Easier

Old 03-31-2013, 03:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

It REALLY Has Become Easier

Since making my Big Plan it really has become easier to deal with that alcoholic beast living in my head. Why didn't you guys tell me it would get easier?

Oh, wait - YOU DID!

Well, what can I say, I am hard-headed. A trait that didn't serve me well while I was still drinking, but one that seems to be an ally in battling my beast.

Urges last only a few seconds now that my relationship with alcohol has been simplified to "I will never drink it". The Beast flashes me a thought or visual about drinking and as soon as it registers what it is I smile, pat him on the head, maybe call him a sneaky bastadge for getting that thought up to the top of my mental deck, and then go on about my day. Why dwell on it when it's never going to happen?
Old 03-31-2013, 04:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

when i see a glass of wine, i have replaced that image with the visualization of a fatty scarred liver.

(what can i say, I work in surgery, it works for me and i know how tired my liver must be from all the abuse i gave it previously....it needs to rest and rejuvinate).

oh Nons, i was shopping in Costco yesterday and there were snack ladies demo. foods everywhere...one of them was freshly fried BACON....i nibbled a 1/2 strip and thought about you!
Old 03-31-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is an older post, by Morning Glory:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...anagement.html

It is one of those resources that is worth keeping in a reference database, like the video 'Pleasure Unwoven'

It emphasizes why it is so important for us to realize what is going on in our 'dysfunctional' brains, and why it is so important that we take responsibility for re-establishing healthy brain & thought functions.

Thanks for the post Nonsensical.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats Nonsensical!

Yes after awhile the AV realizes there's "no vacancy" in our mind.

Back when I was working with very young but troubled children in groups, a new young child joined the group. A child who was quite the troublemaker just a few weeks prior noticed the new child was going to start challenging me.

He turned to the new kid and said: "Dude, You better not do that. ....Miss EQ DON'T play."

LOL

I always think AV has figured that out.
"No point acting up" AV thinks: "Miss EQ don't play!!"

All the best, EQ.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Nonsensical
Why dwell on it when it's never going to happen?
YES! EXACTLY! THANK YOU!

Freedom, eh? Sooooo nice.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
jkb

Yay Non-
I am so glad to hear this. You are doing great... Jess
Old 03-31-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Galatians 5:13

I now relish in the freedom of how easy it is, but early on it felt, "too good to be true".

It wasn't, isn't, and never will be too good to be true ;-)

-
Old 03-31-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Great feedback Paul and Tammy!

I found that AVRT works best as a stand alone method; and any attempts to suggest that in order to stay stopped I also need to understand the brain neurology of emotions and what is going on in my "'dysfunctional' brain", or buy into the arguments of an expensive video trying to claim I have a disease of my very ability to choose deliberate voluntary activities - well - THAT is ALL 100% INSTITUTIONAL ADDICTIVE VOICE (IAV).

Yes, the IAV would have us hoist with our own petards adding on complex conditions for permanent abstinence. I will have none of it. Our society is permeated by the IAV, and frankly, weeding out the IAV is the hardest part of AVRT, because it labels other peoples' beliefs in ways they might not like or understand at first. To me this is the ART of AVRT - navigating around and sometimes exposing other peoples' ingrained AV for the benefit of new AVRT learners without being too uncivil.

All the scientific/academic stuff may have a place in quasi-scientific debates, but NOT in quitting for good with AVRT. All I needed to know was the the Beast was an inappropriate appetite for pleasure that is biologically primitive and timeless, and being timeless, IT can only be squashed with NEVER.

I believe, for the sake of people newly coming to understand AVRT, it's important to make this clear.

The Big Plan is unconditional.

The Big Plan WILL force you to separate from your AV.

Understanding AVRT puts the AV (and the IAV) within a perfectly manageable context.

The Big Plan WILL make quitting for good easier and faster than any other way I know.

Also, posting here on SR, for me, has nothing to do with my abstinence. It has only to do with exposing the AV in any form I see it for the benefit of addicted people wanting to quit for good.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's one of the many things I appreciate about you, G&R. You go right to the meat and guts. No obfuscation, contradictions, or patting yourself on the back. No pontificating.

It helps me a lot to "watch" you try and help someone process something that is so simple but can be so complicating for many of us, especially those that have attended recovery programs or are looking to psycho-analyze every little thing.

Right now, for me, it's about never drinking again and never changing my mind. That decision has been made and is no longer an issue. Now I will let my brain heal, be good to myself, see my therapist who is very RR friendly and save all the deep stuff for later.

Soberlicious and FreshStart and Non and so many others have helped me too.

For the most part, this is a wonderful forum and frankly all those that introduced me to AVRT, who watch out for me, pm me when get a bit out of sorts or respond to my posts when I'm getting confused has been amazing to me.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For me it helps to have an understanding of complex brain functions, and how they are affected by drug use and intense emotionally charged memories.

A basic understanding of brain functions is the basis for Jack Trempy's structural model of addiction. That is how he explains the basis for AVRT, that abstinence is a choice made by the rational mind, which has control over the 'Beast' brain, if I choose to exercise that control.

Trempy's model is just so simplistic, but just a simple basic understanding is enough to realize I can have control over my choice for abstinence. And I recognize it is true, that over-complication can be just another form of letting the AV have ground that is not acceptable.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah, RDB, I found that video very interesting and I really appreciated you posting about it. Thing is, I didn't need to know any of that stuff to quit drinking. I didn't give a rats butt why I drank I just wanted to stop and stop for good.

Now that I'm permanently abstinent I can, in time, look further into the whys.

But yeah, that was a real cool video.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Actually, what I posted on this thread was a link to a post by one of the SR Administrators, about Emotional Memory Management. I did not think it was off-topic, but I apologize if it was.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RDBplus3 View Post
Actually, what I posted on this thread was a link to a post by one of the SR Administrators, about Emotional Memory Management. I did not think it was off-topic, but I apologize if it was.
Oh, I thought you were talking about the video "Pleasure Unwoven" on this thread you started:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...addiction.html

Sorry about that. I really liked your opening post on that thread.

ETA: I didn't think it was off topic (the post on this thread). Just a little too deep for me at the moment.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the thread-I had cravings earlier where I thought I'd loose my mind if I didn't drink. I decided to be stubborn and not drink! Partly your encouragement to be stubborn-the cravings are finally subsiding-an hour later! It felt like a week-the battling in my mind, it's good to know eventually it will be less:-)
Old 03-31-2013, 11:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm only a couple weeks in, and already my AV is leaving me alone for longer periods of time. It does seem to be like a child who is figuring out that it's not going to get its way.

When I used to quit drinking, I would plan to avoid any possible triggers. I say "plan," because I didn't make it more than a day for many years. This time (the last time!), using AVRT, I have done all the "wrong" things. Since the AV is a paper tiger, why not rattle its cage? I think AVRT has actually been more effective this way. It's like taking a child who throws tantrums straight to a toy store to get the biggest fit out of the way.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
Great feedback Paul and Tammy!

I found that AVRT works best as a stand alone method; and any attempts to suggest that in order to stay stopped I also need to understand the brain neurology of emotions and what is going on in my "'dysfunctional' brain", or buy into the arguments of an expensive video trying to claim I have a disease of my very ability to choose deliberate voluntary activities - well - THAT is ALL 100% INSTITUTIONAL ADDICTIVE VOICE (IAV).

Yes, the IAV would have us hoist with our own petards adding on complex conditions for permanent abstinence. I will have none of it. Our society is permeated by the IAV, and frankly, weeding out the IAV is the hardest part of AVRT, because it labels other peoples' beliefs in ways they might not like or understand at first. To me this is the ART of AVRT - navigating around and sometimes exposing other peoples' ingrained AV for the benefit of new AVRT learners without being too uncivil.

All the scientific/academic stuff may have a place in quasi-scientific debates, but NOT in quitting for good with AVRT. All I needed to know was the the Beast was an inappropriate appetite for pleasure that is biologically primitive and timeless, and being timeless, IT can only be squashed with NEVER.

I believe, for the sake of people newly coming to understand AVRT, it's important to make this clear.

The Big Plan is unconditional.

The Big Plan WILL force you to separate from your AV.

Understanding AVRT puts the AV (and the IAV) within a perfectly manageable context.

The Big Plan WILL make quitting for good easier and faster than any other way I know.

Also, posting here on SR, for me, has nothing to do with my abstinence. It has only to do with exposing the AV in any form I see it for the benefit of addicted people wanting to quit for good.
Dammit, I can't find a standing ovation emoticon. This is the best I can do:
Old 04-01-2013, 03:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
The science is important. Some people misuse the science for their social agendas.

Trimpey used the science to articulate a very simple modality for permanent abstinence. It's so simple it puts some people off. My wife has said a number of times, "Yeah, but there's not really a beast in your head..."

I enjoy knowing the underlying science - which has progressed since 1995, but continues to support Trimpey's conclusions. And I can use it to assuage people who like more complex answers.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

There really is a beast in your head! Denial., denial, denial!
Old 04-01-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

April Fools... but can we have it US ad for bacon mouthwash - YouTube

I had to put this here for Nons!
Old 06-24-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Since making my Big Plan it really has become easier to deal with that alcoholic beast living in my head. Why didn't you guys tell me it would get easier?

Oh, wait - YOU DID!

Well, what can I say, I am hard-headed. A trait that didn't serve me well while I was still drinking, but one that seems to be an ally in battling my beast.

Urges last only a few seconds now that my relationship with alcohol has been simplified to "I will never drink it". The Beast flashes me a thought or visual about drinking and as soon as it registers what it is I smile, pat him on the head, maybe call him a sneaky bastadge for getting that thought up to the top of my mental deck, and then go on about my day. Why dwell on it when it's never going to happen?
Did it stay getting easier?

Anyone?

I'm on day 11ish or so (not trying to count but know it was two Thursday's ago). I don't have physical cravings - but mentally I still get stuck in troughs with my AV plying it on - how much I want that sweet oblivion.

I am not drinking again. But it hasn't gotten all that much easier yet.