Notices

New to SR

Old 03-31-2013, 01:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to SR

I'm happy to have found this site. Have been struggeling with quitting drinking - I started drinking probably with 16 only on weekends every now and then - later weekend drinking became a routine. With about 25 i started to notice that I was drinking more and more until I had a nervous breakdown at the end of my university studies and I used alcohol to keep relaxed. Now I'm 30 and in the past 5 years I drink almost every day- I had some breaks and always fell back.
Yesterday I had friends over and got very drunk - I can hardly remember anything. I woke up with a huge bruise on my upper and lower leg - I think I slipped in the bathroom since I found some glass splitters in the shower from the screen. I feel extremely emberassed and guilty for not looking after my friends and also for doing this to my fiance over and over again. I am scared as well as I could have seriously hurt myself. I am very lucky to have a very understanding and supportive partner who forgives me every time but I keep disappointing him.
Last nights incident really hit me hard with reality and I hope to find support here to quit drinking.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hello Honey ,
Welcome to SR . There is a lot of knowledge, experience and hope here , have a click about and read , maybe join the the march thread (or april tomorow) just post and say hello and i'm sure they'll welcome you :-
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-8-a-3.html

Here are some links i found interesting starting out
Recovery programs :-
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

de - toxing :-
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Welcome aboard , M
Old 03-31-2013, 02:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! There's a lot of support here as well as useful info on getting sober. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been there. I'm glad you found us. You'll find lots of support here.
It is possible to quit. Just think of where taking that first drink will lead you.

Best to you.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Honey You'll find lots of support here x
Old 03-31-2013, 05:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Honey

D
Old 03-31-2013, 05:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard lots of great resources and people here - I had an incident like yours last weekend, never again is my target.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think it's important to kep your fiancee in mind. You should get sober for yourself of course but I imagine you want to keep him in your life so you need to remain sober for that as it will reach a point where he just won't put up with it anymore. Have you talked to him about this? Does he think you're an alcoholic or is he in denial? If you haven't used the word alcoholic or alcohol addict to him then you really need to as it will help you stay sober. That's my view at least.

I hope you are receiving help re the nervous breakdown, sadly it's hard to know whether alcohol was the cause or the effect of such a thing.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

For me, the one and only way I can wake up tomorrow without new guilt and shame is to stay sober today.

I sorta wrote that one..... LOL.

Take some days and read the posts here. Ask questions. Post thoughts and feelings.

Good luck!

Gall
Old 03-31-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

all for the encouraging words...I surely don't want to lose my wonderful fiance for alcoholism. He knows I drink too much but I don't think he understands how serious this problem is. His suggestion was to only drink on occasions - but that certainly doesn't work for me ... then I want more and more and sooner or later it becomes almost every day again. Today is Day 2, I'm going to the gym - the most critical time is around 6pm though - the time when I usually come from work - I'll just grab my laptop then and spend some time reading all the stories :-)
Old 03-31-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Honey! Welcome to a great place. My history was a lot like yours. Over time, my tolerance became huge & I ended up drinking all day in my 50's. This won't happen to you - you are doing the right thing by taking action now. Great job on your 2 days sober. You can do this, Honey.