Happy Easter?

Old 03-30-2013, 08:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Happy Easter?

With another family-centric holiday upon us I was wondering how it goes. I wonder if this is an easier holiday for family trauma. Maybe because it isn't in the dead of winter it makes a different, like Christmas and Thanksgiving. We aren't hunkered down for hours on end stuck in the house. I don't know. Well I hope everyone has a pleasant Sunday.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there Kialua

You ask about family holidays? My answer is: UGH !!!

I don't do those holidays anymore. One of the biggest healings in my recovery has been to make my _own_ holidays _separate_ from my crazy biological ancestors. I have my _own_ Christmas with my own tree and I get myself a present every year. I find a small butterfly, or sometimes I make one, and hang it up on my tree as a symbol of my re-birth into a happy, healthy life.

What my family does on the holidays is _their_ problem, and has nothing to do with _my_ happiness.

I also celebrate St. Patricks day. Just because I decided I want it as my own holiday. Over the years I have put together a fantastic green costume and I wear it to work just for fun.

I'll be thinking of you and praying for you tomorrow, hoping that you can manage to get thru without too much pain and unhappiness.

Mike
Old 03-31-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Happy Easter y'all from the deep south pacific.

Nice to pause and reflect.

David.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This was my first holiday completely seperate from my "family" and due to unforseen circumstances I'm not even with my family by choice. I cleaned the whole house like a mad woman and then picked up an extra shift at work. Two of the elderly people in my "family" passed this week. It's been tough and tougher by the moment. It's gotta get easier but today has been insanely tough.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Talking

i started my day at AA it has been all good since.. Happy Easter Everybody!
Old 03-31-2013, 08:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Happy Easter!

Things could have been awkward. I played with the choir for Easter Mass and it ended up being my AF doing the sound system, sound checks on the instruments, etc.

For better or worse, I had other things on my mind that pretty well kept my mind entirely off of that. On the way out, he sort of muttered happy easter as he walked by me and two of my kids, barely looking at us, and said if we're hungry, stop by.

I just wanted to sigh and shake my head.

All in all, it's been a good day.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't see my family of origin so that was good and usually get together with my inlaws. They do plenty of drinking but are not alcoholics. Nonetheless it makes me uncomfortable, I don't drink and they hate that. They have no awareness of AA, the lifestyle the trauma etc. even though they have known me my whole life. They are just inconsiderate slobs. They get to the point where they have a good time talking and laughing but it's all nonsense and they can't comprehend any comments from me or my husband. So there was that. But this year we had a new trauma, our adult kids decided not come and didn't even tell us. So we were all mad about that. But we made the best of it.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Payne View Post
This was my first holiday completely seperate from my "family" and due to unforseen circumstances I'm not even with my family by choice. I cleaned the whole house like a mad woman and then picked up an extra shift at work. Two of the elderly people in my "family" passed this week. It's been tough and tougher by the moment. It's gotta get easier but today has been insanely tough.
Payne I'm so sorry about your loss. What a week. Praying it gets better.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hung out with my wife's family. Wife was at the college theater, so, triggered my feelings of abandonment, but I manged to keep myself in good spirits. Figured if she wouldn't enjoy her family, the kids and I would.

She is taking a class on lighting and as part of it needs to work a show. There tech rehersal was Easter from 11 to 2.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I hated moving into town- but we live close to the college and the sports grounds. Our oldest daughter and family live at one end of the college grounds.
last year madame wrecked her knee and has had to spend time at the pool. The pool is at the opposite end of the college.

Yesterday, easter holiday the kids and three grandkids and ourselves hung out at the pool. This was not always possible for me, because I was so screwed up. I could not see opportunities like this.

Because of this programme of recovery, Alanon and ACA, i can see now, and I can act... I am truly grateful for this...

thanks,

David.