Notices

new here

Old 03-29-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new here

Hi all - I've been sober since 1.31.2013 and mostly enjoying it. Have to say I'm glad to have found this site, it's a great support.

I've been drinking for at least 30 years with a break of about 1 year in 2001. Had a nervous breakdown & severe depression. I used AA & a psychologist & religion -unfortunately I ended up very disheartened by churches and AA.

This time, I realized that my whole family was alcoholics and it if it hadn't already killed them, they were in the process or very bitter. the holidays put me over the edge with all the in-fighting and stress of being with them. I had a couple of blackouts & decided that was enough.

I'm single, no kids, just the 2 black kittehs. Very much a loner and have always been.

My method to stay off this time? AVRT and SR.

Nice to meet you all & seems to be such a supportive community. I'm looking forward to participating
Old 03-29-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to the forums 2blackkittehs

D
Old 03-29-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

There's some AVRT discussions going on here: Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 03-29-2013, 09:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by 2blackkittehs View Post
Hi all - I've been sober since 1.31.2013 and mostly enjoying it. Have to say I'm glad to have found this site, it's a great support.

I've been drinking for at least 30 years with a break of about 1 year in 2001. Had a nervous breakdown & severe depression. I used AA & a psychologist & religion -unfortunately I ended up very disheartened by churches and AA.

This time, I realized that my whole family was alcoholics and it if it hadn't already killed them, they were in the process or very bitter. the holidays put me over the edge with all the in-fighting and stress of being with them. I had a couple of blackouts & decided that was enough.

I'm single, no kids, just the 2 black kittehs. Very much a loner and have always been.

My method to stay off this time? AVRT and SR.

Nice to meet you all & seems to be such a supportive community. I'm looking forward to participating
Hi 2BKs,

A useful AVR Technique to start out with is to put all of your self talk and writing about your drinking into the PAST TENSE.

eg. "I HAD BEEN drinking for 30 years." or try "I used to drink alcohol."

You will begin to recognize an internal inertia that will be resistant to that change in tense. IT wants you to keep it all in the present tense. Do you feel it?

GT
Old 03-29-2013, 09:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome 2black kittehs!

It's good to have you join us! I'm a kitteh person, too (there's a lot of us around here!)
Old 03-29-2013, 09:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome 2blackkittehs! I have a weakness for Black Kitties. Love your avatar.

Nice to meet you!
Old 03-30-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for the welcome!

GT, thanks for that advice it does make sense. I'm just beginning to read Rational Recovery.

Glad there are so many kitteh people here too.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

2blackkittehs,
Your story is so similar to mine, except I have two sons, and was married twice. My first husband died when he was 33 due to alcohol. I have taken a couple of breaks from drinking; one was a year, then another for six months.

Now I really want to "quit" for forever, and it's scary to say that word. After 30 yrs. it had become such a part of my life, that it's like learning to do things all over again, a new way.

Congratulations on 2 months of sobriety! I'm about 7 days into it, and I'm feeling at the same time both elated and scared. I am taking baby steps at living a sober life. Wow, the prospect of even watching a movie without drinking is still too much for me right now. There are triggers all around me.....

This site is such a lifesaver, I've already learned some things to give me hope and tips to strengthen my resolve.....what a journey, eh?

best of luck,
Heartfan
Old 03-30-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you, 2blackkittehs.

I drank for about 30 yrs. too - & now have 5+ yrs. sober. After joining SR I found the courage and hope I had lacked before. Knowing I wasn't alone made all the difference to me, since I had no one in my life who understood addiction. I know you'll enjoy being part of the family here.

Congratulations on your 2 months sober!
Old 03-30-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and Greetings from a fellow cat-lover. I'm so glad you found us.

It sounds like you have a solid plan and I hope that you continue to read and post.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR from yet another cat lover Congratulations on 2 months sober!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-30-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR from another cat lover!