Just like me. sm

Old 05-05-2004, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Just like me. sm

After graduating from high school, I left home, moved to Alaska (from Georgia) and did not look back. I was away for 29 years. Last year, my father died, and I returned home for the funeral. I was so surprised to find out that all my brothers and sisters (2 brothers, 3 sisters) were so much like me in their "paranoia" and other dysfunction that it was funny. We talked about it openly, and though we all know it was from our upbringing, none of us really know what to do about it. Fortunately, we all have patient spouses that keep us in line to some degree and just roll their eyes and try to calm us when we are going overboard. We are all workaholics - just like Dad... who was also an alcoholic along with Mom.

I have read the book Adult Chidren of Alcoholics, and it is pretty right on in how it breaks the roles down. I told my brothers and sisters about it.

I am wondering if there is a 12-step program for us or how to go about finding a 12-step group for ACOAs in my area. If anyone could suggest something, it would be most appreciated.

Thanks for listening...
Old 05-05-2004, 08:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
believer

Re: Just like me. sm

Hi Tbera,

You can go to the ACOA website, http://www.adultchildren.org/ , and check for meetings in your area. They also have information on starting a new meeting. If there aren't any ACOA meetings around, look for CODA http://www.coda.org/ or al-anon in your area.

Take care,
JG
Old 05-07-2004, 04:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Re: Just like me. sm

Thank you, JG!