Notices

Drunk dreams

Old 03-29-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drunk dreams

I had a drunk dream last night and feel like lately I have been slipping into a depression again. So many feelings of all hope lost, and slept for 15 hrs last night. I have been thinking about trying AA and finding out what these steps are about. I believe in a higher power but the term "god" or "Jesus" makes me uncomfortable, I haven't had the most positive religious experiences with those two. I think that and the fact that I went to an AA meeting in my early 20's and a very intense verbal fight broke out have been the main reason I have t gone. Anybody have suggestions on how to locate the "right" meeting or sponser? Is that a dumb question? Thanks.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh and the drunk dream was more of a drunk nightmare and brought back all of my hangover anxieties. I have been under a lot of stress at work lately and the depression is causing bad dietary choices as well. Bah humbug!
Old 03-29-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Not a dumb question. I went to many different meetings in the beginning and went to the ones I felt comfortable in. Even if you have a problem with god or Jesus, knowlegdge is power. Gives us strength. You don't even have to talk. Just being with people and listening can do a person good.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Also drunk dreams are common. I've had lots of them. Just remember they are just dreams.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had those dreams! It was usually nightmares of getting caught, or just dreams of drinking again. That will be the only way any alcohol ever touches my lips again!
Old 03-29-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Honesty- I am an alkie. I need help.

Openmindedness- AA has helped millions stay sober. Maybe I should give it a try.

Willingness- Step thru the fear, go to a meeting and just listen.

1st meeting is always the hardest. Once you go you may find it is what you were looking for all along. God bless!
Old 03-29-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I like having the drunk dreams because I always feel guilty or bad in them, so it is a good reminder of how I will wind up feeling if I decide to drink.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't dream of drinking anymore...but I dream of stuff that I thought I had processed and dealt with a long time ago...but apparently didn't satisfactorily cause I was always passed out, not REM sleeping good...that's my guess.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Karissaleigh View Post
I have been thinking about trying AA and finding out what these steps are about. I believe in a higher power but the term "god" or "Jesus" makes me uncomfortable, I haven't had the most positive religious experiences with those two. I think that and the fact that I went to an AA meeting in my early 20's and a very intense verbal fight broke out have been the main reason I have t gone. Anybody have suggestions on how to locate the "right" meeting or sponser? Is that a dumb question? Thanks.
I found some great explanations in this thread.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ers-arent.html

Listen to Earl H's message here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...75-earl-h.html

There are great AA meetings, members and sponsors out there. You just have to show up for the meetings and listen. Stick with the winners.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-29-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

If you don't like the God or Jesus bit, have a look here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ake-steps.html

One thing I liked about the Secular section here at SR was investigating the "Proactive Twelve Steps." Part of the philosophy is that the important thing about dreams is not what happened, but how you felt. So it is good that you were not happy you were drunk