Dealing with Dying Mom

Old 03-28-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Dealing with Dying Mom

Hey. My mom is in end stage liver failure and still drinks. Appparently it will only be death that will be her rock bottom. My struggle is finding the balance of making the most of the time I have with her all while wanting to throw my hands up and walk away from her again. That was my boundary before her liver and body to deteriorate so rapidly. Anyone else been there or there now?
Old 03-28-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry this is happening. My Dad drank till 80 then was incarnated and forced into AA treatment and died a few years later from Alzheimer's. So not quite the same. Do you know how much time is left? Is she hospitalized? If you know how much time is left it will probably be easier to deal with. But if it's just another crisis in a long line of crisis it's harder. Wow. Well, whatever happens you need a supportive group, do you go to Alanon or ACoA meetings?
Old 03-28-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey natty47. I had an alcoholic dad as long as I can remember. He didn't die from liver disease, so I really can't tell say much about that. But he did die due 2 heart disease from abuse he put his body thru. He had a bad valve in his heart as well. I saw him b4 his 65th bday. He died a few days later due to it. I know your pain, and sorrow. Just be there for your Mom. I'm feeling your pain. Just make peace with her, and let her know . I had to watch my dad being cut off from life support. No1 else in my family even came to say goodbye. But, given all that, he was still my dad. Prayers and hugs to you. You will get thru this.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you both. I am very lucky to have a ton of support around me. This is all just very different than the things I worked on in the past. I guess death makes you reshape boundaries.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yes- and at least you had the opportunity to do that
Old 04-02-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Natty. I was sad to read your post and very sorry to hear about your mum. My mum has just been admitted to hospital with liver disease and has been told she must never drink again or it is unlikely she will live to see the next 5 years. Though my situation isn't yet the same as yours I completely understand your predicament. I have sworn I will never speak to my mum again if she ever touches another drop after what we have all been through this weekend. She could have died from the internal bleeding and what i have had to see this weekend i never want to see again. But truth be told I probably would keep speaking to her... My mum has been vile to me over the last 4 years and I kept going back after swearing so many times I wouldn't. This admission to hospital was a whole other level and to see her physically in that way was heartbreaking. She is the most infuriating person ever and I could kill her at times, and it is very difficult to keep reminding myself that she is ill. I feel the love for my mum is unconditional and even if she did continue to drink herself to death I would still be to hold her hand till the end. Because it is a illness and none of us really know how difficult it is to stop if you don't have the addition. I think I would feel very guilty and probably regret not being there to say goodbye to my mum despite the fact she has made my life a living hell at times. You will never get that moment back