This is my 3rd attempt to tell my life

Old 03-28-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
So Tired of this

This is my 3rd attempt to tell my life

I have lived with an alcoholic husband for 20 years. Our children are 17 and 14. They are fully aware that their father is a drunk. I was told to start a new thread, so this is my situation.

My husband is famous for waking up in the middle of the night and urinating in places other than the toilet. His most recent offense was while on vacation, going into the closet and peeing on my suitcase. It was 2:45 am and I was furious. He was drunk and mouthy and kept telling me how he tried and tried and tried to find the bathroom but just had no choice. He claims he wasn't drunk, but he was. He peed on our dog crate with our dog in it the first night we brought her home. He has peed on my daughters floor, he has peed on our bathroom rug. He passes out. He gets a scary look in his eyes. He drinks in excess and then sleeps away his day. He brought home 8 cases of beer not too long ago and I got rid of all of them. He turns on me and blames me, saying I chase misery by wanting to argue. I am sad, tired and sick of all of it. Mostly I am sick for our kids who are hurting and they have very little respect for him. He ruins everything with his drinking. I tried talking to him about it this morning but of course he turns it all on me and blames me for his drinking. Says I make him walk around on egg shells. Hhhmmmm, pretty sure it is the other way around. How do I tell him it is time for him to move out or get help? He denies he has a problem. Over 20 years I have seen the progression of alcoholism. It is not pretty. I just want a solution.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
So Tired of this

My life and it makes me sad

This is a third attempt to tell my life in the correct spot. Please forgive me, this last week has been pure Hell and I don't think my mind is seeing everything clearly. I have lived with an alcoholic husband for 20 years. Our children are 17 and 14. They are fully aware that their father is a drunk. I was told to start a new thread, so this is my situation.

My husband when drunk will wake up in the middle of the night and start urinating in places other than the toilet. His most recent offense was while on vacation, going into the closet and peeing on my suitcase. It was 2:45 am and I was furious. He was drunk and mouthy and kept telling me how he tried and tried and tried to find the bathroom but just had no choice. He claims he wasn't drunk, but he was. He peed on our dog crate with our dog in it the first night we brought her home. He has peed on my daughters floor, he has peed on our bathroom rug. He passes out. He gets a scary look in his eyes. He drinks in excess and then sleeps away his day. He brought home 8 cases of beer not too long ago and I got rid of all of them. He turns on me and blames me, saying I chase misery by wanting to argue. I am sad, tired and sick of all of it. Mostly I am sick for our kids who are hurting and they have very little respect for him. He ruins everything with his drinking. I tried talking to him about it this morning but of course he turns it all on me and blames me for his drinking. Says I make him walk around on egg shells. Hhhmmmm, pretty sure it is the other way around. How do I tell him it is time for him to move out or get help? He denies he has a problem. Over 20 years I have seen the progression of alcoholism. It is not pretty. He is not the man I first married. He seems paranoid and angry.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi. Welcome. Have you gone to any Al-anon meetings? That's where I found my strength. And I didn't even go all that often. It was such a relief to be in a place where everybody already knew my story.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

Sounds like he has it good. He pees everywhere like a unpottied trained puppy drinks until he passes out and as upset as you are. He can just brush it off and continue on.
I would highly suggest alanon and setting boundaries
You wouldnt allow your children to act up without punishment
The same applies to your husband
I wouldnt be taking him on vacation either. You nor your children deserve
A vacation like that
Old 03-28-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
So Tired of this

No, I haven't. I know that is my next stop....just gotta swallow my pride and go to one. Seems unfair I have to go to a meeting when I am not the one drinking. I sound angry! I need to quit being mad and find resolution to the situation. Thanks for the suggestion - many of my friends have recommended the same.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with thislonelygirl.....Al-anon is a good place to start, I reacted to my exagf with out understanding the disease. It could have saved me a lot of heart ache knowing the things I know now from SR and Al-anon....there is hope geppster
Old 03-28-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
So Tired of this

Thank you, you are right, he has it way too good. And he screamed he wasn't coming with us next year on vacation, and yelled GREAT! We will have an awesome time then! Dumb to scream an the drunk but it felt good to yell back. I really don't want him along and my daughter asked me not to bring him next year so I don't plan to bring him again. I will start going to Al-anon. Thank you for saying there is hope - I need hope!
Old 03-28-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You don't HAVE to go to a meeting, you GET to go to a meeting. You have the opportunity to start taking your life back. The meetings will help you gather strength for you and your daughters.

It's okay to be angry. I was, and I think it's a reasonable reaction to the horror we find ourselves living in. I don't have to feel that way so much anymore, and letting go of it has given me a whole new life and way to live it.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
So Tired of this

Ok, I get to go - that is a better way to view it, thank you. If I can somehow let go of all of this, that would be freaking amazing. I just turned 45 - I want the last 45 to be happy.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Al-anon will help. You'll meet people genuinely happy with life despite living with an alcoholic - and most importantly, you'll find out how they redirected their focus back to themselves and leading a happy, and peaceful life.. A bonus -you'll get to get it all off your chest to strangers that COMPLETELY empathize - same here in SR. ((HUGS))
Old 03-28-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
So Tired of this

I have heard good things, I just have been so reluctant to attend. I don't understand how they get you to redirect the focus on me and lead a happy/peaceful life. I would love that. It just seems impossible with the way my life has been these 20 years. We have a shed....I just want him to move into the shed so we don't have to see him drinking. That would be so nice.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi geppster,

I am sorry that you are going through this - when I read your post it rang bells as a friend of mine has been living the same life that you have for more than 20 years.

Her daughter as of 5 years old has had friends to stay over while my friend was out working and they played board games with her husband passed out on the floor...

He has peed in the bed next to her, on the radiators, in the wardrobe, and has crashed 3 family cars which had to be scrapped - luckily no fatalities so far.

She is now almost at the end of her tether but bless her she is trying desperately to hold onto the idyllic family life...which she has never had but desperately seeking still.

Take care of yourself. Maybe your doctor can help you find support too.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
So Tired of this

Oh, your poor friend. That is horrible. I hope your friend can see her way through her mess too. My kids know when their father is drunk and they just can't stand it. Sadly, when he is sober they want little to do with him then too. He has to be a lonely man, he drinks alone in our furnace room. Then he homes out and we all get to see what a mess he is. I have talked to my Dr. about this mess.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sounds like a miserable existence for all of you. What can you do to get out? (saying this knowing that its not easy ....)
Old 03-28-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
So Tired of this

My only choice is a divorce, which means selling all our assets and starting over again. Unless he magically decides not to drink. If I can figure out how to quit letting his actions upset me so much, I will be a much better place.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by geppster View Post
My only choice is a divorce, which means selling all our assets and starting over again. Unless he magically decides not to drink. If I can figure out how to quit letting his actions upset me so much, I will be a much better place.
Well, al anon should help with that. I think its pretty much impossible to live with an active alcoholic and not be upset by it, though.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
So Tired of this

I agree, it has been pretty impossible for me not to get upset by him. Tired of living this way for sure.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

There is no need to "swallow pride" when you walk through those doors of AlAnon. You won't know a single person that first meeting, yet you will be among friends. All our stories have different twists, but they are all the same. Whatever you have been through, someone has been through the same or worse. You will draw from the experience, strength, and hope in those meetings. You will sincerely learn how to detach, set boundaries, and claim your life back. You will find yourself in a very safe place. AlAnon is NOT about the alcoholic, it is about YOU. I would also strongly encourage you to discuss Alateen with your kids.

In the meantime, don't pour out his liquor. Don't clean up his messes. Don't listen to his quacking alcoholic blame game. This has nothing to do with you. You didn't Cause it, can't Cure it, can't Control it. The A will blame shift constantly, doens't mean you have to own what he says.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Geppster - welcome to SR

For convenience and to save confusion, I've merged all your threads into one.

D
Old 03-28-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
So Tired of this

Dee74, Thank you for that - I really appreciate it. Recovering2 thank you for your wise words. I have re-read what you wrote and am trying to get that through my thick skull.