Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

bewildered, why are some of you here? To start smack with others??

Notices

Old 03-27-2013, 11:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm great despite being he subject of numerous attacks according to others that run this site. i never saw the comments. You must be in a tremendous amount of pain. I joined 7 days ago and drank at day 5 then got back on the horse and I'm that bad? It's very difficult for me to NOT verbally eviscerate people like you. So I will shut my mouth. I may not have years of sobriety behind me like you, but I know when to shut my mouth.

Many, most, of you are really cool and thanks for the support and advice.

Peace brothers and sisters
Old 03-28-2013, 12:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am sorry that happened to you.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Johnny. I saw this unfold yesterday. How I saw it was one comment was made which was very negative and then many others jumped in because the comment was quite innapropriate.

This site is FANTASTIC, and is helping me so much with my sobriety, there are so many kind people here. I'm so sorry that this happened to you. Congrats on the attempt to stay sober, i'm day 5 myself and this forum has been a great help.

Hope you stick around
Ben
Old 03-28-2013, 12:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Johnny you might like to join us in the March Class, a place full of supportive people. All of us have become sober or are working towards sobriety this month. You'd be very welcome.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
now's the time

I didn't see what happened, but I work On The Internet for a living and I have to say SR is one of the friendliest and best-moderated forums I've seen (hat tip to all you wonderful mods). Don't let it shake you off, this is a good place to be and you're very welcome here.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Okay.

Whatever was said, don't let it ruin your day (or week, etc.)
Old 03-28-2013, 01:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrbeagle View Post
Hi Johnny. I saw this unfold yesterday. How I saw it was one comment was made which was very negative and then many others jumped in because the comment was quite innapropriate.

This site is FANTASTIC, and is helping me so much with my sobriety, there are so many kind people here. I'm so sorry that this happened to you. Congrats on the attempt to stay sober, i'm day 5 myself and this forum has been a great help.

Hope you stick around
Ben
This is completely true. Somebody wrote something which was highly offensive (I won't repeat it. But it was basically this person's method of how to achieve sobriety. Amongst other things it was vulgar, inappropriate and completely distasteful) on your thread. What the comments posted by other people were was a response to that outrageous comment/method, basically saying is this person deluded. It was nothing against you Johnny. You're doing brilliant by the way and congratulations on your accumulated sober time.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
instant

There are more supportive people here than not- stick with us- the support is great and it helps
Old 03-28-2013, 02:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

we all have to start from day 1. It's rough pysically, mentally, emotionally and frankly it is scary.

dont let others bring you down. they have their own issues!

Im glad you are here and sober.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by fantail View Post
SR is one of the friendliest and best-moderated forums I've seen
Echo that sentiment. I have been a moderator and/or administrator on several forums, and for the volume of posting at SR I can't believe how few inappropriate posts I have seen. We have the A-Team here.

As for why someone would come here and start flame striking other members- who knows for sure? I attribute it to chemical imbalance due to being on or coming off mind-altering substances.

Don't let other people put their garbage in your can, johnny. Keep doing what you gotta do to beat this addiction.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I support you fully Johnny. Keep your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road and don't let yourself be distracted by a few crazy drivers!

W.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When we ALL have fallen down, it's nice to have a hand getting up.
I'm glad that you didn't read whatever, it might have deterred you from further conversations.
You can do this and it will get easier as you get more time.
The sr moderators work very hard to keep all the sections running well without too much friction. I think it is like "herding cats", lol.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I had my "hazing" back several months. I put those that did it on ignore. I was hurt by it even though its the internet and technically not real. I even went so far as to ask if all my posts could be removed.

The moderators asked me to think about it. Now? I cannot tell you how very grateful I am to so many here.

I don't have a lot of "live" support at home. But I don't feel alone for a second anymore. I really do have a family here.

Consider yourself part of it!
Old 03-28-2013, 03:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey,

Why not consider this alcoholism 102 - baptism by fire. Many of us drank/drink to avoid or ignore life's challenges like this one. Personally I have no idea what was said, but I know if I was drinking, I would demand justice damn it! Today, I know that people just have bad days, and the world doesn't revolve around me. Their off color comment had nothing to do with me and more to do with their fear, anger and resentment. The lesson? Try to embrace this concept and learn to roll with it. Start breaking those shackles, and your need to drink will diminish that much more.

The release of indentured servitude I experienced when I let go of retribution has been liberating. The beautiful part about learning it this way? There is no consequence here. Perfect setting to conquer a demon.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm sorry this happened to you.

However, just because I'm the curious type is anyone willing to private message me the specific details of the offending comment??? I can't help that I'm curious.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I didn't catch what happened. but I can say this about SR: it's a place I look forward to because people are cool, there's a tremendous amount of wisdom here, it's really well moderated and there's tons of folks here that understand where I'm coming from.
You happened to run into a really bad post - I didn't see it - but that is VERY rare here at SR.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hope you are ok Johnny.I didn't see the comments but don't let it put you off SR. Some people who say nasty things have their own issues.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I too didn't see what happened, but glad you're still with us.....we're a pretty friendly lot
Old 03-28-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

There were no attacks from anyone who 'runs this site'.

Johnny, if you will check, all the offensive posts were removed from your thread as soon as I was made aware of them. I was at work, so it didn't happen immediately.

I also posted on the thread in your support.

All the Mods and Admins work hard to keep SR respectful and safe.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Geesh. I'm sorry that happened Johnny.

My first thread here started to go off the rails but Dee, one of our moderators, was able to bring that to a screeching halt. And, there were plenty of other members that kept me afloat and away from the mayhem through personal messages and suggested readings.

I have my core group of members I trust. Most of them are those that helped me that first night. They can tell when I get a bit wonky and will pm me or I will pm them when I'm feeling like I'm going to flip a nutty.

Sometimes, I do flip a nutty and send some crazy anger filled message to one of the moderators (I never quite know which moderator it will go to...poor souls) and they in turn, generally just let me vent and don't respond. I mean, seriously it's hard to respond to a major case of meltdown whackitis.

Anyway, my point, these volunteer moderators/adminstrators/greeters/etc. do a great job but they cannot be a hundred different places on SR all the time. When they see a problem or it is brought to their attention, they come in and deal with it. When members see it, it's been my experience many try their best to defuse the situation until such time as a SR volunteer arrives.

Please don't let this event keep you from posting here and reaching out for help. As someone else mentioned, I think joining the March thread would really help you.

Peace.