Notices

Heroin->Suboxone/Alcohol addict attempting recovery

Old 03-27-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Heroin->Suboxone/Alcohol addict attempting recovery

First off, I am serious about recovery, not religious, and still use cannabis, I know that makes me at least a partial hypocrite and still an addict, taking it one step at a time.

Was on suboxone for 5 years (6 months of heroin beforehand) and was drinking about a six pack of cheap 16oz beers nightly for the last year before I quit Sub. I used a combination of Seroquel, Benzos and alcohol (dangerous) to quit my addiction to opiates (very limited combining of benzodiazepines and alcohol due to legitimate fear of CNS depression and death) .

I experienced PAWS for at least 30-45 days and, as to be expected, became a full-blown alcoholic in the process of trying to mask said PAWS. I have been clean from opiates for about 7 months now and havent looked back, but thats only 7 out of the last 70 months (roughly). Recently my drinking had climbed from a six pack to about 2 a day, everyday, and i was starting to shake badly until a few beers were imbibed.

So about 20 days ago I stopped drinking (using benzos and seroquel) and as of about 14 days ago I quit all physically addictive substances.

However, I started using Kava Kava to goto sleep and still smoke cannabis. I understand that cannabis is psychologically addictive and is nothing more than a tiny band-aid on an open wound

*Despite how far Ive come I want to know if anyone has used less harmful drugs (other than caffeine and nicotine) to stay away from drugs that induce withdrawal that causes seizures, insomnia, and involuntary bodily movements

*I still shake badly whenever I am strained (which can be normal) but I also shake inconsistently (but still daily) after these few weeks, I wonder if the shakes will ever go away, or theyre being exacerbated by my Kava use (still GABAergic and potentially physically addictive).

Thats my abridged story and if anyone has dealt with anything similar Id love any input, thanks a bunch
Old 03-27-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

We have no oaths to take nor promises to make. And unlike NA, this is not a program of total abstinence.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thats good to hear thanks!!
Old 03-28-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're working on your recovery. Your questions are best answered by your dr. None of us here can offer any kind of medical advice.