Notices

New to this

Old 03-27-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this

I am very shy and apprehensive about going to AA meetings, although I really want to. I went to one last Saturday, but felt really uncomfortable because it was really small and really tight knit. I just kind of sat there and felt like everyone was staring at me while they shared and I didn't. Very uncomfortable for me. I have read all of the tips about saying, "I'll pass", and so on so forth, but does anyone have anything real for people like me who are sitting in an AA group and nervous and not ready to share? Or who are perhaps ready to share and are scared to? I have thought about this a lot and have almost come to the conclusion it is less uncomfortable to just out with it and share than it is to remain silent.

How did you handle your first couple of meetings when you were nervous? I have been isolated for a while and am already kind of shy to begin with. I am open to radical suggestions. I really need to get out of my comfort zone.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Mandy, I was afraid of meetings and didnt go to one for the first 7 months. I finally went to a womens only meeting. I was so nervous. I cried through the whole thing! I was so embarrased. However....the women were SO nice. I really felt better after it all came out.

I say keep trying. or go to another meeting somewhere else. I am North of Tampa. Let me know if you want to try the meetings up my way. I can send you a personal message on this site and let you know where.

I tried the mixed meetings, and really prefer the women only groups.

Lol...I am guessing you are female?
Old 03-27-2013, 05:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey my first AA meeting, I introduced myself and that was it for two weeks. But after the meeting, I hung out and got to meet people. Watch the guys if you are a girl Anyway I opened up and there was no pressure. If you dont want to share, that is your choice and people understand. We had people in there for at least 6 months and then they broke out. Now they are always talking The old guys talked always. I listened and we had a lot in commom- Alcohol and the issues and we are alcoholics. I could relate to their stories and...I started to talk and people listened and it felt like it was lifted out of me. For now tell us your issues and it will be easy to chat with them later. I also grabbed a Big Book, or its free on line as well. I read it and read it and I need to read it again. Welcome to SR and keep posting.