Notices

Anybody got any helpful tips? I'm avoiding responsibilities

Old 03-27-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anybody got any helpful tips? I'm avoiding responsibilities

Day 27 and I'm ok with drinking not being any option but I'm feeling a lot of anxiety over my avoiding responsibilities. I have a lot of cleaning up to do. I know I just need to start at something but I'm struggling with fear. Just thought I'd ask what maybe you all have done to get over this hump. I don't want it to get to be a bigger problem than it already is. I know what that can lead to. Feeling overwhelmed to say the least.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have severe mental problems and part of those are anxiety disorders. I know where you're coming from.

Start doing the thing you would avoid, but begin with a small thing first. Then another small thing. Then expand to doing a little more and get used to that. If you continue this, you will get used to and be comfortable about those things. This is part of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy btw. It's called exposure.

But even before that, I would go see a doc. It might be that you have an anxiety disorder of some sort and there are excellent therapies for this.

I'm a veteran when it comes to this stuff. The best thing you can do is at least is to visit your doctor and explain the problem. Trust me, they've heard this so many times. It's a very common problem. They'll understand and help.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

congratulations on 27 days 360shoes! I always try to make a list of things to do when I'm feeling overwhelmed. Try to take a deep breath and do one thing at a time.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

One of my mentors always used the expression "swallow the frog," it was related to work and has to do with doing the thing on my to do list that I was most dreading. It usually had to do with having a difficult conversation with an employee or returning an angry phone call. I still try to follow this advice and do the thing I least want to first. This allows me to go on with the ret of my day without worrying about it the whole time.

When to Swallow Your Daily Frog
Old 03-27-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Make it fun.

Write everything on a small piece of paper and fold it. Put them all in a jar and pick one. Get that done today.

Tomorrow, pick two and do them.

Before long, everything will get done!

Don't forget to maintain things, too, so they won't pile up again.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow, ask and you receive! I feel better already.

TotalFreedom - yep, you nailed that one. I have an anxiety disorder and do have help on that. Believe me when I say that just having these feelings is a vast improvement over the a-fib put me to sleep hit me with the paddles panic attacks I used to get. Exposure...I like it and you are so right...I just went to my scary mailbox that I dread so much with sweaty palms and your right, it didn't bite me. Thanks!

Hope22 - I just opened up my notes app on my ipad and started my list. Funny but it was more overwhelming in my head then when I look at it on paper. it's manageable. Not all in one day mind you but it can get done. It's a start. Thank you!

Delilah1 - My frog is my mailbox. That's why I picked it. Took me 15 minutes to walk to it
and not because its far away. Now my other things don't seem as unpleasant because the scariest one didn't kill me. Swallow your frog...love it and will remember that.

sugarbear1 - I am so doing that. I like to have fun and I have lots of cute boxes to pick from and pretty paper to use. I'm going to get the list done and then take it from there.

Thank you all so much. Really, thank you.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Be well 360. Feel free to PM me if some things are too personal. I have a lot of empathy for people. In general, but in this case it connects with me and my problems. So if you want to chat without it being public, feel free send me a PM!
Old 03-27-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Make it fun.

Write everything on a small piece of paper and fold it. Put them all in a jar and pick one. Get that done today.

Tomorrow, pick two and do them.

Before long, everything will get done!

Don't forget to maintain things, too, so they won't pile up again.
This sounds awesome...
Old 03-27-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

@sugarbear1 - That sounds like an amazing idea!

360shoes, I totally get overwhelmed with responsibility too. We had an apartment complex inspection coming up, and we can't have anything within 10 inches of our heating vents. My computer desk is a bit too close, so I had to re-arrange my room a bit to make sure it was up to code for the inspection.

It took me like 4 days to work through the arrangement in my head...

Start slow, one thing at a time. Sounds like you're on the right track, I wish you the best!