Dog put down..............

Old 03-27-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dog put down..............

Well this day has sucked royally.........my beloved retired racing Greyhound Extreme has been ill - I knew it was coming and last night was super bad- he had Lupus, Seizures and now we think he may have had Cancer. I made the deicision to not let him get worse - found the strength and drove over an hour to my vet and said good bye. I stayed with him and told him how thankful I was for him- how much I loved him and how much joy he brought me. How much more Can I say good bye to? REALLY? He was my friend - my peace my angel. I miss you already- Boy - rest easy- no more seizures...............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
extreme catch my love.jpg (30.6 KB, 99 views)
Old 03-27-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

prayers of comfort and peace for you - please accept my heartfelt sympathy in the loss of your precious furbaby

gentle pink hugs
Old 03-27-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Extreme, what a beautiful powerful name for an outstanding dog.
I am sorry you had to let him go. It does suck really bad to make that decision.
Take good care of yourself.

Beth
Old 03-27-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((HUGE HUGS))) I'm so sorry for your loss!
Old 03-27-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So sad and I'm so sorry. They are family. (((HUG)))
Old 03-27-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Jules

I'm sorry for the loss of your beloved dog. I have two myself that are like my furry kids so I know how hard it would be for me. What a handsome dog! You made the most difficult unselfish decision for him not to be in pain anymore. Just remember all the good times and the comfort you gave each other.

You are in my thoughts. Take care.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm soooo sorry Susie. I am an animal nut, and always dread those tough decisions. But the best thing we can do for a loyal dog companion is know when it's time to release them from their suffering. (((BIG hugs)))
Old 03-27-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So very sorry for your loss. Our dogs are often our most loyal and loving supporters. H's in a better place now.

Shooting Star1
Old 03-27-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

I'm so sorry Red.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

(((Susie))) I am so sorry!! I just had to put one of my babies down December 31st. She was very special to me because she once was my beloved mother's dog.

Knowing she is out of any suffering, brought me some comfort. I hope it does for you as well.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am so sorry. I hope you can keep all your happy memories in the front of your mind to help you in your grieving. Such a hard thing to have to do for a beloved pet...hugs.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

(((Susie))) I'm so sorry for the loss of your dear friend.

You've probably seen this story as it's been circulating on the internet for some time, but it's a good one. I hope it comforts you...

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish wolfhound named Belker. The dog’s owners, Ron, his wife, Lisa, and their little boy, Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn’t do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker’s family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker’s transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker’s death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.

Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, “I know why.”

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I’d never heard a more comforting explanation. He said, “People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life – like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?”

The six-year-old continued, “Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don’t have to stay as long.”
Old 03-27-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So very sorry. ((( hugs)))
Old 03-27-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So very sorry and so brave of you and the right thing to do. Couldn't have coped with the loss of my partner without our beloved cats. My thoughts are with you. x
Old 03-27-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So sorry. You gave Extreme one of the best and hardest gifts to give. I've had to make the decision too many times and know how hard it is. ((cyber hug))

Better a day too soon than a day too late, in my experience.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

so very sorry I know how difficult it is to have to do the right thing.
I'm one of a team that work for a voluntary animal rescue and am slave to 2 dane's and a cavalier. rip Extreme.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am so sorry Susie.
I had to put my dog down in December to be kind & I know how hard it is.
Big, big hugs to you.
Cherish the wonderful loving memories. xx
Old 03-27-2013, 04:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Susie,
I am so very sorry. It's the hardest thing to do, but the bravest and most loving sacrifice. May his precious life and the good times he had with you as his rescuer bring you comfort.
What a beautiful boy.

Rest sweetly, Extreme.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm so very sorry for your loss, Susie.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am so sorry, Susie. We had to put our dear girl down last August. It was the right thing to do but brought such sadness. Sending you strength and hugs.