Emergency Funds Question

Old 03-27-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Emergency Funds Question

We've talked about having emergency funds set aside but where/how do you keep yours?

I've managed to put aside some cash from odd jobs, gifts, etc. I've been just keeping it in cash because I don't want to have the paper trail of a savings acct, etc., but having cash just hidden in the house makes me a bit nervous too.

What other alternatives do you all use?
Old 03-27-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hmmm, I have some hidden in the binders of my yoga and pilates DVD's because I know no one will look there. Oh, and I have some in with my hot rollers, again because no one will look there (I think, LOL). I also have some at a friend's house in her safe, she's my go to person if the crap were to hit the fan here.

I did set up a checking account in my name only and got a credit card in my name only, as well. I put a few hundred dollars in the checking account but I did tell my AH about these accounts and for the reason that I was trying to establish credit in my name as I haven't had a job in 15 years. A friend of mine lost her husband suddenly and she realized that she didn't have any credit in her name and couldn't get a car loan or a credit card after his death. So, I had a different motivation for setting up those accounts.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I bought prepaid credit cards (the kind you buy in drugstore) and put them inside old, outdated textbooks. The textbooks are sealed in cardboard boxes in the garage (still unpacked from a previous move. They are on the bottom level with other boxes on top. Lots of cobwebs and stuff.

To find them would take someone hours. I don't think anyone would think of looking there. Too much trouble and too unlikely.

dandylion
Old 03-27-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have several online accounts with what used to be ING that are joint with husband, and it's easy to make new ones online, so I created one just in my name. If I were to get hit by a truck, he'd be the beneficiary, but he has NO ACCESS to the non-joint account that I set up.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

I have some "safety & serenity" money hidden in my vehicle - when I was with my exAH - I was the only one that had keys -

If you have the resources - a safety deposit box or a home safe are some other good options -

If you are a woman (sorry guys) you could also keep a little emergency cash with your "personals" most guys won't look there ~ but I wouldn't keep a large source because you never know . . .

wishing you most of all the ability to some day have a place & a peace where you don't have to worry about this

pink hugs
Old 03-27-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I also have a safety deposit box, and I started an online savings account in my name only - no paper statements. We have always had seperate checking accounts . . . that probably seems strange, but now I am thankful for it.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Initially, I kept money I was saving at the home of a trusted friend. Then I got a safe deposit box at the bank.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

PayPal

It's a great place to hide money from an alcoholic/addict. Do not use a password they know or can guess, and tell nobody you have a PayPal account for this purpose. You can link it to your bank account for easily moving money back and forth. Also, you must have your computer and email password protected by a password your alcoholic doesn't know and can't guess.

Again, the moment you tell even one person about the account it's over. You must keep it quiet.

If you already have a PayPal account, using a different email address you can set up another one.

Take care,

Cyranoak

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
We've talked about having emergency funds set aside but where/how do you keep yours?

I've managed to put aside some cash from odd jobs, gifts, etc. I've been just keeping it in cash because I don't want to have the paper trail of a savings acct, etc., but having cash just hidden in the house makes me a bit nervous too.

What other alternatives do you all use?
Old 03-27-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cyranoak View Post
It's a great place to hide money from an alcoholic/addict. Do not use a password they know or can guess, and tell nobody you have a PayPal account for this purpose. You can link it to your bank account for easily moving money back and forth. Also, you must have your computer and email password protected by a password your alcoholic doesn't know and can't guess.

Again, the moment you tell even one person about the account it's over. You must keep it quiet.

If you already have a PayPal account, using a different email address you can set up another one.

Take care,

Cyranoak
My AH has been doing this to hide how much he's been drinking. He got a preloaded credit card, charges his 'meals and drinks', bills his company for the bill, and funds the credit card from Paypal. He seems to think that I don't see any of this but because I pay the bills and balance his work expense account, too, I figure out there's money leaking. I mean, I'd see his expense credit card statement and it would appear on paper that he only ate out once during the week he traveled. Then, I'd get refunded an expense check in a much larger dollar amount and wonder what was going on. When I couldn't trace it back to cash coming from our accounts and I saw the paypal transactions, I slowly figured out what he was doing. I swear sometimes I have to play detective just to balance a checking account, ugh!