We 'clicked'!!!

Old 03-26-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

We 'clicked'!!!

Well, I had my first appt with my therapist tonight, and I'm happy to say "I think we have a winner!!" I was pretty nervous all day, stressing about how if we didn't hit it off, I'd have to continue the search for a therapist I feel comfortable with. But I'm so glad - I think we're a good match and I'm already looking forward to my next appt!! We didn't get into a LOT of stuff, just kind of glossed over a few things, but even just doing that, I felt a little lighter on my drive home. For the first time in the last 3 1/2 weeks, I feel pretty optimistic and like 'everything's gonna be okay.' Maybe not right away, but eventually.

And of course, I have all of you wonderful people here, who have been my lifeline for the last 3 1/2 weeks - I don't know where I'd be without you!! Between therapy, SR, my family/friends and some good reading material recommended here on SR, I think I'm pretty much set to start working on my recovery!!

Just wanted to share the good news!!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love my therapist as well and get along great with her. I think everyone should have one irregardless if they think they need help or not.

Congrats on getting one you click with, the load on your mind will slowly start to lighten.
You'll only wish you had gotten one sooner like I do. Lol
Old 03-26-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, heyjack! Yes, I think the power of just being able to talk to an impartial third party, whether about major issues or about normal everyday things, is undervalued by a lot of people. Truth is, it does WONDERS!! I'm already starting to wish I had gotten one sooner, and I mean YEARS ago!!
Old 03-26-2013, 10:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great to hear that you made a connection that can bring you some more support. Ahhh. I can tell it's brought you a lot of relief. Hope you can relax a bit and just enjoy. And you're right! Everything is going to be okay. :-)
Old 03-27-2013, 07:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's Great news!

I loved my therapist as well. She never judged me....no matter what came out of my mouth. She listened without reaction. Her ability to do that freed me from some burdens that I had carried around since I was five years old looking down the barrel of the rifle that my father was pointing at me. She listened without reaction and I was freed from the chains of that experience. I was no longer a victim.

I hope that you have many wonderful personal awakenings during your future sessions!

Keep taking care of you.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 03-27-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EverHopeful721 View Post
Thanks, heyjack! Yes, I think the power of just being able to talk to an impartial third party, whether about major issues or about normal everyday things, is undervalued by a lot of people. Truth is, it does WONDERS!! I'm already starting to wish I had gotten one sooner, and I mean YEARS ago!!
lol I know, I know, but hey, at least you've got one now.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you, shinebright.

Kindeyes, that's so interesting....when I was about 5 or 6, I was outside playing and I turned around to find one of my brothers, who was 9 or 10 (the one who set me up with C) pointing a loaded .44 magnum handgun at my head with the most hateful look in his eyes. In the years following, he was always physically beating on me and would suffocate me to the point of almost blacking out (I'm sure that's where my acute claustrophobia stems from). Anyway, as I'm sure you (and many of us here at SR) know, it's a complicated story, and although I know where it all stems from, etc., I'm sure it's still something that's going to come up in therapy. Thank you for sharing that, Kindeyes, and for the support.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

geezus. i would HOPE you would "mention" that in therapy!!
you are one brave lady, and the steps you are taking are really something to be admired!
Old 03-27-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
geezus. i would HOPE you would "mention" that in therapy!!
you are one brave lady, and the steps you are taking are really something to be admired!
Thank you so much, Anvilhead. Your post was the first one I read when I got back from lunch, and I have to say, it made me cry....but in a GOOD way!! Sometimes we are so focused on putting ourselves down all the time and continually telling ourselves that we're nothing even close to special, that when someone actually gives us recognition, it catches us completely offguard, kind of shocks us to realize that someone else can actually see the GOOD in us. At least, that's how it's always been for me. Anyway, you are one of the people here at SR whose words I always respect and take to heart and I can't even tell you how much your vote of confidence and supportive words mean to me. So, !!!!!
Old 03-27-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

At least, that's how it's always been for me.
Me too.

Anyway, you are one of the people here at SR whose words I always respect and take to heart and I can't even tell you how much your vote of confidence and supportive words mean to me. So, !!!!!
Me too!

ah yes, another good cry and feeling my feelings. That is a good thing.

Thank you both, anvilhead and EverHopeful.