Notices

Reaching out....

Old 03-26-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reaching out....

I'm at 26 days and I want to drink..right now..bad. I almost just walked out the door to buy a 4 pack of beer, telling myself it will just be my reward for vacation and for doing so well. I know I need to deal with whatever I'm feeling besides drinking. Its' just that voice in my head telling me why not? Everyone drinks, why can't I once and a while? I looked in the mirror and see how bright my eyes are, how clear my skin looks, and I've lost about 8 lbs. I want to get through this. Please remind me of why I shouldn't drink. Please please. I am desperate. This totally sucks.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was feeling very similiar to that yesterday, and I stayed close to the computer and away from my kitchen (where there is liquer) and refused to go there....SR folks made all the difference, I mean it.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your screen name is a great reminder of why you don't want to drink.

Stay Strong

Ken
Old 03-26-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Please remind me of why I shouldn't drink.

forabetterlife,
thing is, i don't know why you shouldn't drink.
do you?

what i mean is: what happened to the reason(s) that brought you here?
was there not a point when you knew full well why you shouldn't?
what are you telling yourself about those reasons?
Old 03-26-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Most cravings last only 30 minutes. You can make it thru it. Think of something else. Do something else to take your mind of it. Meditate. Go to youtube there are tons of meditation things to listen to to calm your mind.

Do whatever you can not to give in to the craving. It is the addictive part of your brain talking to you. Tell it to **** off!
Old 03-26-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I shouldn't drink because once I start I don't want to stop, because eventually it leads me to drink at inappopriate times and definately inappropriate amounts. I shouldn't drink because I'm not setting a good example for my children. It makes me lazy, forgetful and stupid. It makes me look and feel like garbage the next day. I can see and feel every drink in my body, in my eyes, my hair, my face, my skin, and most of all my mind the next day. It makes me lose my 'peace". It wastes days and time out of my life. I could go on and on. Thank you for getting me to answer that question.

I have had many good attempts at not drinking over the past two years, and each stretch of not drinking proves to me that it is the only way for me to live. I have abused alcohol to the point that I can no longer drink like a normal person.

I had such a good productive day today. Some irritable moments with my daughter and now she is having a hyper friend over tonight, so I think that is what is leading me to want to drink so badly.

I'm going to get through this. I just wish I didn't miss alcohol so &&^%^%$ much, when I KNOW how it always ends up. I am a smart girl, it's seems so illogical.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One more thing...I know I have been WAY too lucky...I have gotten away with my drinking for far too long with none of the obvious consequences. It's my little secret. And I know that soon my luck will run out and will face much more than a hangover. I can't let that happen.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ah; i knew you knew

and yes, i'm a pretty smart cookie myself, and that illogical irrational condition had me going for a long time....but here we are!

yes, you can get through this.
you're doing it right now!

just keep going
Old 03-26-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

BREATHE. The cravings will go away. You are in control.

Maybe it's time for the Cherokee Legend -- did Dee first post this?

------------------------------------

A Cherokee Legend

An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. "A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy.

"It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego." He continued, "The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you - and inside every other person, too."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, "Which wolf will win?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."
Old 03-26-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
I'm at 26 days and I want to drink..right now..bad. I almost just walked out the door to buy a 4 pack of beer, telling myself it will just be my reward for vacation and for doing so well. I know I need to deal with whatever I'm feeling besides drinking. Its' just that voice in my head telling me why not? Everyone drinks, why can't I once and a while? I looked in the mirror and see how bright my eyes are, how clear my skin looks, and I've lost about 8 lbs. I want to get through this. Please remind me of why I shouldn't drink. Please please. I am desperate. This totally sucks.
Look in that mirror again and see the bright eyes, clear skin and weigh loss. All that will most likely be gone if you drink again. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello. I know that at times it is a HUGE, GIANT, S##T storm of craving. These cravings pass and you are better off for it. Look back on your first post. Go for a walk. Go into the chat room. I hope that you made it through.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Believe me, the longer you stay sober, the less you'll miss drinking.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all so incredibly much...it is so hard for me to reach out for help, but at that moment I was faced with a choice and I knew that I would find the support here that I needed to get through it.
The kids are having fun, I had a long talk with a good friend and had many reminders that I really should count by blessings. I haven't felt this good in years and I am so glad to be sober.
Thank you all again for you support, every word was just what I needed.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Everyone does not drink! It seemed like that to me, but I now see I was in the minority placing alcohol in such a place of importance.

Really why should you drink? Is it really gonna make you feel better? Permanently?

I've wanted to drink pretty bad a few times. I never regretted the choice to stay sober.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good job beating the cravings! It took me almost 3 years to finally get some months put together. 170 days today and in the past I've drank after 30 days or 2weeks and it was never worth it. Just left me feeling quilty and like a failure the next day wishing I hadn't gave in to cravings. Sobriety is def the way to go
Old 03-26-2013, 08:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

I am an addict I have used because I had a bad day and because I had a good day. I have used because it was a sunny out or because it was raining. I have used because I had a couple extra bucks or put off a bill to use. My AV Is there Always trying to trick me up and Is a force to be recond with. Easy to say Don't drink. Don't use
Old 03-26-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This thread helped me a lot. I love the pro-active techniques I'm learning here.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Waking up this morning so relieved that came back on here, read your supportive words, advice, and ideas rather than giving in. It is scary though that my sobriety and the strength that I feel I have built up in these past 26 days can be shattered but just one wrong choice, by listening to that voice

I just need to hold on to the knowledge that it WILL get better in time (it already has, just not completely), and to think about the next day...will I wake up and regret NOT DRINKING (of course not) and is it ever, every worth it to trade in one day of sobriety or 1000 days for a drink, only to start all over again (of course not).

Thank you all so much. Cravings are temporary, it's true. My mother always told me, "This too shall pass", and it does.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through the evening.

Next time will be easier.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

......only to start all over again

i don't assume anymore that i would or could start all over again. my gut-feeling is more that i'd just sink.
maybe look at that a bit, too.