Notices

First steps

Old 03-26-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First steps

Hello, I'm new here, and just trying to Make some positive steps in my life. I've had a problem with alcohol for 15 years.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

You've made a good decision!

Have a look around, there are some great people who hang out at this site.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello, and welcome. You'll find lots of support here.
I was a problem drinker for thirty years. I joined here over five and a half years ago, and have been sober a little over two.
Please don't wait to go through the misery I did. Stop however you can. A support group or just coming here.

Best to you.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Homendry.

Welcome to SR glad you've joined us.
You'll find some amazing people here who offer the best support and advice imaginable. Post away, there's always someone who's been there or going through it who'll be able to relate.

Again welcome!

P.s. Pink Floyd, smashing!
Old 03-26-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the welcome. Was unsure if I would join let alone post. But due to the destruction that I have caused in my life through alcohol I'm currently saying a my mums for a week, so the me and my wife can get some head space to make the right choice for our future.
So was just looking on the net for someone other than my family to talk too.....don't get me wrong they have been great.

Anyway thanks again everyone.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Homendry. A lot of support and hope to be found here.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

welcome, Homendry.
and joining and interacting daily on a recovery forum has been thecmainstay of my ongoing sobriety.
lots going on in the headspace, eh, as we go through those changes and decisions and muddles and moments of clarity...
Old 03-26-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can really believe it has got this far......but in a way I always new. Just feeling at a bit of a lose just now....can' go home and can't say at my mum's forever.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi there HomenDry - at least you are there now (at your mums) and here now (SR is honest, supportive and questioning....this forum has made a huge difference to me in the short time I've been here).

I hope you begin a new chapter of your life right now.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome! After 15 years of drinking what's your plan to stay sober?
Old 03-27-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am on medication just now, that if you drink on it you will become really ill. And I'm just going focus on the parts of my life that have taken a back seat because of my boozing.....guitar, surfing etc. I work month on month off, so when I way is going to be tough as I don't have much to do with my spear time and no body is watching me.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have been reading and lurking, and finally am serious about quitting so it's all very new to me as well. This seems to be a great site with fantastic resources, and I'm looking forward to getting help and support here. I am just one and a half days sober, feel like crap but I am so determined this time to quit. I have just felt worse and worse when I drink, and it's taking its toll on my health. My triggers are right when I get home from work and I'm going to put all of my energy into stopping that first evening drink. I plan to just come here and read until the cravings pass. Good luck and thank you for sharing!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Here Gratefulnow,

Your making a great choice.....I have lost everything I hold close to my heart through drinking. I have only been married 6 months and that is totally up in the air now. When I drink I become a beast with no regard for myself or anyone. I have been to the doctor and they think I have a mental illness too,but don't know if the mental illness feeds my drinking or the other way about, time well tell. But after only a week off the devils juice I can already see what I have done and each day I'm making steps to a happier me. My wife used to say a happy wife a happy life, now I say a sober me can be absolutely free. Stick in
Old 03-27-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!