I am going to my first meeting this sinday

Old 03-25-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am going to my first meeting this sinday

I am glad they have this meeting for adult children of alcoholics. One of my care takers is. I am very worried about him. Except he has been dealing with thing's on his own for awhile.

I am gradually making amends with my parents. I ended up becoming and alcoholic as well. Would that maybe keep me from being welcomed into this group? Because I attend AA but i'd also like to attend this group.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are welcome. Most of my Alanon-Adult Child meeting consists of "double winners," people who also attend AA.

I only wish more AAs would come, I think adult child issues drive a lot of slips and relapses.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

oh yeah I know that for a fact. I have now though learned a lot about my past habitual way of reacting to people and situations. I'm much more aware now.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Most of the people at my ACA group have struggled with addictions themselves. It's not uncommon at all.

Basic rule of thumb is to get the addiction under control 1st, then ACA. If you've been attending AA regularly and are not an active alcholic, then by all means add ACA to your plans.

We did have to tell one guy to go home when he showed up to group obviously intoxicated. But we let him come back again once he sobered up (a few weeks later).