Notices

Anger as a trigger

Old 03-25-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anger as a trigger

I just have a couple weeks sober and it feels great.

This afternoon I was really tested though. There was a situation that made me angry - not raging mad or anything - but angry.

As my anger simmered I found myself wanting to get drunk. Grab some red wine and power it down.

That was my initial response. It took awhile before I was brought back down to earth. It dawned on me that I shouldn't let somebody else being an a$$ make me screw things up for myself.
It also hit me that I had to have blood drawn for my yearly physical Friday and getting drunk tonight would be a bad thing - and pretty stupid too.
And then I finally remembered my string of sober days. Breaking that string would bum me out.

So I wound up eating a couple turkey sandwiches instead and perusing SR. LOL

But I came pretty close. I never thought of anger as a trigger. How about that.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I hear you. Last week I had a terrible cold and went to the drugstore to get some cough medicine. I grew very frustrated and angry trying to find one without alcohol in it. The pharmacist was busy and I had this urge to say "**** it" and get the makings for a hot toddie!

I ended up leaving the store and went into the health food store to get some medicine there. At least it didn't have alcohol in it!
Old 03-25-2013, 08:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had this urge to say "**** it" and get the makings for a hot toddie!
Really - I was very surprised that anger was a trigger for me. For some reason I guess I figured anger would increase my resolve not to drink. No I know that was just a fantasy in my head.

Seems like frustration was also a trigger for you. OK - I'll have to watch out for that one.

HA!

Old 03-25-2013, 11:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
now's the time

Anger and frustration are absolutely triggers for me. I think in my case it's because I'm not comfortable expressing anger out at others; I tend to turn it in towards myself. Drinking while angry has always been a violent act for me, and the violence of it is what attracted me to it. Very childish, really.... like punching the wall or something. Doesn't do anything positive for anyone!
Old 03-26-2013, 02:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by ClearLight View Post

hahahaha I'm pretty sure that is how I looked when I left Shoppers!
Old 03-26-2013, 03:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Anger and frustration have always been triggers for me. I just had to dull those feelings rather than face them. Now I face them head on and feel better about it, not to mention waking up the next day and not feeling horrible.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hot Coal!

Originally Posted by ClearLight View Post
I just have a couple weeks sober and it feels great.

This afternoon I was really tested though. There was a situation that made me angry - not raging mad or anything - but angry.

As my anger simmered I found myself wanting to get drunk. Grab some red wine and power it down.

That was my initial response. It took awhile before I was brought back down to earth. It dawned on me that I shouldn't let somebody else being an a$$ make me screw things up for myself.
It also hit me that I had to have blood drawn for my yearly physical Friday and getting drunk tonight would be a bad thing - and pretty stupid too.
And then I finally remembered my string of sober days. Breaking that string would bum me out.

So I wound up eating a couple turkey sandwiches instead and perusing SR. LOL

But I came pretty close. I never thought of anger as a trigger. How about that.
Anger is one of the most powerful triggers. I have drunk on it in the past, and several times I have actually caused arguments to induce anger, so I could justify picking up.
Try and think of anger like a hot coal, the only one that gets burnt is the one who holds on to it.

Paddy.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

R.A.G.E.

Relapsed Alcoholic's Great Excuse

Be careful.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

fantail
Drinking while angry has always been a violent act for me, and the violence of it is what attracted me to it. Very childish, really.... like punching the wall or something.
Yup - when I was younger I was a wall puncher. I learned that lesson.

Least
I just had to dull those feelings rather than face them. Now I face them head on and feel better about it, not to mention waking up the next day and not feeling horrible.
Yeah - I couldn't figure out how to deal with them. Now I want to use exercise to help blow off some steam. Better that then drinking or overeating.

happypaddy
Try and think of anger like a hot coal, the only one that gets burnt is the one who holds on to it.
That's a good one. Sounds like something from a Zen monk.

doggonecarl
R.A.G.E.
Relapsed Alcoholic's Great Excuse
Another good one. I had no idea anger could be a trigger. After these posts I realize lots of folks have to deal with it as a trigger.

Thanks to all for your insight.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I understand what you are saying about anger. It's a trigger for me as well as boredom. I am being tested today that is for sure. I have allowed someone to get me so wrought up that for the past couple of hours I have thought about running out to numb the pain. Something different happened and I looked at the calendar saw it's the start of day 17 for me and I don't want to begin again. I am holding on to the number 17 with all my heart trying to re-take control of my feelings.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Google HALT triggers

Hungry Angry Lonely Tired
Old 03-26-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

gameofthrones10
it's the start of day 17 for me and I don't want to begin again. I am holding on to the number 17 with all my heart trying to re-take control of my feelings.
Yeah - I was on day 17 too! And I REALLY didn't want to let somebody else break my string.
Don't let someone else screw things up for you. there's an old saying: "The best revenge is living well."
When I wasn't drinking I would go home and do cardio. Now that I've stopped I'm going to get back into the exercise again.

trachemys
Yup - going to check it out and learn.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I get angry at the pile of dishes in my sink... It brings out all the things in life I dislike... It brings out my ugly side! The difference is now that I'm sober, I may throw a fit while I do those dishes, but they get done!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The difference is now that I'm sober, I may throw a fit while I do those dishes, but they get done!
Ha!

There have been a couple times since that post where anger has been a potential trigger again. I'm learning to catch myself. I want to get back into regular exercise. That used to be a good way to deal with anger and frustration.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the maxim 'resentment is like drinking poison and hoping the other guy dies too' hold true for anger and drinking as well.

I grew up in an angry house.
I grew up terrified of anger, not only other peoples, but mine too (it used to be volcanic).

I learned that very few things are worth getting angry about - and those that are, I can get angry without scorching the earth.

Anger passes, and life is too short

D