Notices

My first post

Old 03-25-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first post

Hi all. It's my first post so I'll give you an overall summary. I'm in my mid 40s, started drinking at 16 and have been a daily drinker since around 1991. Has been in the back of my mind that it made me feel bad (make that freakin rough!) since only a couple of years into it. Only made half-hearted attempts over the years. Would go to a random AA meeting here and there, only quit for a day to three days at most and that was very few times.

The past few years my daily average has been about 8-11 drinks in various combos.....beer/liquor or beer/wine. Never need to drink in the daytime and don't want to. Usually start in late evening, I guess partly "training" myself that the later I start, the sooner it's time to sleep anyway. Have been tired of being perpetually hungover for so long.

The past few weeks I've cut the nightly number down by 2-3 and do feel a little better (overall). Hey it's a start! I have alot of questions and other things and details to add. Thanks for reading.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-25-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello! Cutting down is a start....I think that is the road I'm going to be on.....
Keep coming back here!!! Even just for today it has done a world of help for me today
Old 03-25-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Readysteady! It's great that you joined us. This place helped me kick a lifelong drinking habit & I've never looked back. I hope you'll find the help and encouragement you need.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks all! I have alot of questions and input, maybe best on another thread. Reading many, many posts does seem to help and be inspiring. 3girls1husband....good for you too! I can say that just cutting back for now is making a difference. Once I stared cutting back I started waking up depressed and anxious, thinking of everything, and I mean everything as I woke. Feeling overwhelmed in the morning, but clearer at the same time. As of this afternoon I feel pretty good right now. My goal tonight is to hold off til as late as possible, and only have a couple or so if I'm not tired by say, 12:30. If we can't taper over some time, abrupt abstinence might be what it takes. I'm not the best at navigating the site, so I'll try my best to post appropriately. Heck, I can't even install the plug-in to get on the chat. Duuuh with computers, I am, lol.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome readysteady, you will find lots of support here!
Old 03-25-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to a good place for support. This place has helped me stay sober for over three years now and my life is better than ever. I hope we can help you as well.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome!!! I'm trying hard to stop drinking as well
Old 03-25-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Date: March 10, 2013

Welcome Readysteady

I think you picked an appropriate name. You know the next part right?

Go!!
Old 03-25-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome ReadySteady!

I can relate.... it really is awful being hungover every day. I didn't even realize how anxious and depressed I really was until I got sober. Really glad you decided to join us. I remember how scary it was to make that first post, but thank God I did!

Please be very careful with detoxing and get medical help if you need it. Alcohol withdrawal can be really dangerous.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Big thanks to all of you! Artsoul, I hear you about the detox and read many posts and other sites about it. The few times I went 2 or 3 days without I felt great, but that was a few years ago. So going by what I've read, I'll monitor how I feel when I do make a go with no alcohol. Tonights going to be another light night, hopefully even less than last night. Thanks again.