Notices

How to stay sober?

Old 03-25-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to stay sober?

Hey SR peeps.

I am today 14 days free of opiates and xanax. The awful detox and hospitalization is slowly fading, and my cravings are worse than ever. If I wasnt with my parents, and could not even if I tried to get anything, I'd be using again. Simply because now, I just cant get anything, however my craving to be high is getting worse and worse. Of course the little voice is saying.. now your tolerance is down--- go get it.

I know being bored is my worst enemy right now, there arent many meetings in the area I'm in, would love to hear some support/ words of wisdom.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Being bored is the absolute worst! And the sad part is that, as addicts, we haven't really found other things to fill our time other than by using! Stay with us, stay on this website and you will find LOTS of support!!
Old 03-25-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats of the 14 days - that's a couple of weeks!

Have you thought about NA meetings? There can be a lot of good information for folks in your situation.

Trying to do it yourself by the "just say no" method is very, very rarely successful.

People usually need some help in figuring out how to deal with addiction. This site can be a great resource.

Do you have any kind of plan to help you stay clean?
Old 03-25-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I found it helpful to understand the biological reason for my cravings. Have you read up on that at all?
Old 03-25-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
I found it helpful to understand the biological reason for my cravings. Have you read up on that at all?
I have not, but will now Thank you!
Old 03-25-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

FemmeJolie, I found that many things helped me in the early days. I started walking, a lot, and it made a huge difference in my outlook and how I felt physically. Also, volunteer work is a great outlet if you're bored. It's a chance to give back and to meet new people.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Pleasure Unwoven Full Movie Documentary by Kevin McCauley - YouTube
This is a decent explanation also, if you're feeling too lazy to read.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Feelings/cravings arent' 'real' things, they're just feelings. They don't have to be obeyed or acted on. When I was craving (wine) in my early days I'd take my dogs for a long walk just to keep busy. Anything to keep my mind off drinking. I also spent a lot of time here, reading and posting, to occupy myself by being with others who shared my goal.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Developing a recovery tool box with getting past the cravings for example Getting past the cravings has greatly helped me.

Stay close to the support offered by the members here at SR is another great recovery tool.

Keep up the good progress!!!!
Old 03-25-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Smart Phones

If you have a smart phone, I really find games like Words with Friends, Scramble, Phrases with Friends, and Hanging w Friends are great time passers and distractors. And if you don't want to play random opponents, I'm sure there are many more of us on this site than just me who find these games great fun! Maybe some of us could even play together!

Just an idea!

(ps that was not a paid advertisement lol )
Old 03-25-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Going into the third week of no alchol was the absolutel worse for me. I couldn't think of anything else. I went to my daughters everyday and stayed until 11:00 at night so I wouldn't go to the liquor store.

I just told myself, "no booze right now, no booze right now" Basically got thru it a minute at a time.

You can do this!