Notices

My physical signs already....

Old 03-25-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My physical signs already....

Since I did about a 36hour binge, today I am already feeling the withdrawal symptoms that happen to me nearly every week...my throat gets tight (like a knot in it), my head feels like there is vice grips on it, heart is beating fast, hot then cold, sweaty...this is the point where I break down and have a small cocktail and I'm so afraid I won't make it through tonight without one...my husband is at the gym, our oldest is at a friends house, I'm here alone with the two little ones and so feeling the need to "take the edge off"....augh.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Hang tough! It's only a craving. It sucks, but it has no real power. You can get through it.

Not drinking will not cause bad things to happen, despite what your craving mind is telling you.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Can you do something to distract yourself? Something with the kids - get outdoors or play a game?
Old 03-25-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Please don't stop cold turkey if you have been drinking heavily and steadily until now. I just learned this from the wonderful people on this website... it's very dangerous! You could have a seizure. Trust me. Google it. Scared me to death when I first learned about how fatal withdrawal can be. Why don't more people know about this?

And I understand completely how you feel. I am sitting home alone and really want a cocktail and to watch tv. I'm on day three and the tremors have subsided but I'm still sweaty. I can't believe I did this to myself...
Old 03-25-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you, even though there are plenty of things I should be doing right now, I am sticking to the computer so not to "wonder" into the kitchen...
Old 03-25-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As a nurse you know that if you have a heart problem you need a heart surgeon ... not a proctologist.

I wish you the best.

Bob R
Old 03-25-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Sometimes I'll sit and focus on my breathing to get through a craving. I close my eyes and breathe in through my mouth. The air I breathe in is blue. its fresh and clean and cool. I breathe out through my nose. The air going out is red. It is warm and full of toxins leaving my body.

10 breaths in, 10 breaths out. Slow and controlled. It can be very calming.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Not. leaving. computer. desk. not. leaving. computer. desk....
Old 03-25-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Well, then maybe we should play mahjong?
Old 03-25-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 3girls1husband View Post
Thank you, even though there are plenty of things I should be doing right now, I am sticking to the computer so not to "wonder" into the kitchen...
Something that has really helped me is to get rid of the booze in my house. If I physically have to go out and buy it, that requires a lot of effort. And explaining (if I had a spouse). Maybe that trick will help you too. Just wanted to put it out there.

And if you feel your heart racing, see hallucinations, etc. please go to the ER right away.

We all feel your pain! I'm only on day 3 so I am RIGHT there with you sister!!! Hang in there!!
Old 03-25-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

As a nurse I have had plenty of patients who are put on ETOH protocol (usually they are admitted with pacreatic issues, liver, gallbladder, etc)....I know all to well the signs and symptoms of DT's and other less appealing side effects, its amazing I can take care of these individuals, yet abuse myself....
Old 03-25-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh, yeah, duh. Should've realized that

When I was married, I was isolated from my family and friends because I moved to another part of the state. This was also in 2008 when the market crashed for people like me (lawyers), and I was unhappy and started day drinking when he was at work and sneaking vodka when he would go to the bathroom, etc. I know exactly how you feel. It took me a very long time to get here. You should be proud of yourself! We are here for you.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you Ostrich, it really does help to read responses and read other posts....
I have a feeling I will end up having a drink to take the edge off, I've done it before and actually can stop with one when I have felt like this....
I'm seeing a doctor tomorrow and will go from there, thank you again very much.