Notices

Help!!

Old 03-25-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help!!

I'm new to this forum. Right around this time I start thinking about drinking. I fight it every single day and I am hoping SR can help. Maybe just talking to people will help. I'm so sick of the battle everyday from 4:30 to about 7:30-8 o'clock. After that, I'm ok but can feel my mood is ruining my relationship with my Fiance.

I have to rap this up because I am at work but will log back in here when I get home. Thanks to whomever might be listening!
Old 03-25-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Looking forward to meeting you.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-25-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! The cravings lessen with time. Perhaps time a craving and see how long one really lasts. I found that mine lasted usually less that 10 minutes. I also found that detaching myself from the craving - trying to just observe it from an emotional distance helped me to wait for them to pass. It does get better!
Old 03-25-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
now's the time

Try to put a routine in place to substitute for the drinking. I have two that I use... one is going to yoga in the evenings, which is relaxing and feels good and distracts me from wanting a drink.

The other one is to go to this cute little market nearby and get some fruit and then come home and make myself a little fruit dish to eat. The walk to the market gets me fresh air, the buying of the fruit is fun, the preparation takes some time, and then the meal itself gives me a nice sugar fix to help with the craving.

Both of them feel like a treat, so instead of feeling sorry for myself about the drink I'm missing, I'm excited about the nice healthy thing I'm doing for myself.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for your replies. I ended up running errands after work yesterday and rented some movies and surprisingly the whole evening was very relaxing and enjoyable. It seems when I'm stressed out the urge is almost unbearable. I am so glad I found this website. It's great to know someone is here when needed. Thanks again and I'm sure I will be posting real soon!!
Old 03-26-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for your replies. I ended up running errands after work yesterday and rented some movies and surprisingly the whole evening was very relaxing and enjoyable. It seems when I'm stressed out the urge is almost unbearable. I am so glad I found this website. It's great to know someone is here when needed. Thanks again and I'm sure I will be posting real soon!!
Old 03-26-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

im new here as well, battling my percocet addiction, going thru withdrawls, the urge to use is driving me insane...this is a great place for support, and comfort that your not alone...my addiction is a secret, yet i feel its ruining my world,as good as it makes me feel inside, i know im not the same person...feel free to let it all out, no one juges here, only support!!!!
Old 03-26-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I also take ativan. Have been trying to get off for quite a while now. I've done it in the past but for some reason its so hard this time around. It's comforting to know that I am not alone with these addictions. Thanks, ac0918. Oh, and sometimes...not very often....I play the lottery. When I do I play 918 and 9180. Had to share! I think this is a sign. A good one!!
Old 03-26-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

different addictions, im going thru horrible withdrawls, but i think we are in the same place...ty
Old 03-26-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! I'd also suggest distracting yourself during the cravings. Keeping busy was a big help for me. I also used to walk my dogs any time I had a craving... they got a lot of walks for a while...
Old 03-26-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I also distract myself with activities to get my mind on something else. What's been extremely helpful for me was to replace the alcohol with something healthy instead. So my go-to replacements are pretzels or sparkling water or both. They are very satisfying and it works every time.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Feeling really edgy right now. I hate the feeling but I know it will pass. It's weird that the time is 4:24 pm. This is when it starts everyday. When I get home I will try eating something healthy. Thanks everyone for your posts.