Notices

Feeling-the-pressure-to-drink-for-work

Old 03-25-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Feeling-the-pressure-to-drink-for-work

Hi, all)

I've come across an interesting article today. I believe a lot of us can relate.

In Business, Nondrinking Can Be a Costly Expense - NYTimes.com
Old 03-25-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not sure that this is really true, it's just another excuse to carry on drinking. Someone has to have the balls to stay sober in that environment. It is basically just giving in to peer pressure which we are supposed to get past in high school... I understand the paranoia, I have to entertain clients sometimes and in early sobriety it wasn't pleasant, and despite getting ribbed about not drinking I persevered and now I am not sure people even notice anymore. I basically copied the tactics of a friend of mine. He talks big about going out for drinks but always drinks coke. He does drink occasionally but not much but he managed to have a successful relationship with an active alcoholic without making me feel bad for drinking. Basically if you don't mention it and encourage other people to drink then no one will care if you drink or not.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not true in my work. Most don't want to go out drinking anyway because of DUIs
Old 03-25-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

I am a chef and have worked in up-scale restaurants for over 20 years...

Drinking and working is just a way of life...

I left the business in order to get sober..
Old 03-25-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

On last night's episode of The Good Wife, Alicia's character made a snarky remark to another lawyer not drinking saying. "Oh that's right, you CAN'T drink."

Interesting article....didn't know Donald Trump was a life time abstainer.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For some of us, this article paints an accurate picture of our work environment.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

RiverFriend. It's a bit myopic for anyone to say this is completely untrue. Yeah, maybe in your job it's not true, but it is in many others. I've worked in sales in the past and going out to dinner or lunch with clients is almost always a drinking-encouraged atmosphere.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

makes me happy I'm unemployed.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by avocado View Post
RiverFriend. It's a bit myopic for anyone to say this is completely untrue. Yeah, maybe in your job it's not true, but it is in many others. I've worked in sales in the past and going out to dinner or lunch with clients is almost always a drinking-encouraged atmosphere.

my post here was suppose to start 'i agree with riverfiend'.

not sure whay happened.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I had to put sobriety above everything else (job included) and that meant not socializing for several months. Now it's not really a problem to go places where people are drinking if I have a reason to be there.

When I attend events now, I usually make a stop at the bar right away and get myself a tonic and cranberry (with a twist of lime)..... that way, no one is trying to pour me a drink. It works just fine, no one knows whether I'm drinking or not, and having a clear head makes it even easier to make connections or do business.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I made a lot of contacts and got a lot of sales leads when I was drinking. The local bar was great for networking for me. I haven't found anything to replace that so it's a little frustrating. While my mood is better at work, and I get more done, I don't have the clients to work with that I used to and it's hitting my pocketbook. I save money by not drinking, but not having the clients is costing me way more. Alcohol and sales seem to go hand in hand unfortunately. I'm not using any of it as an excuse to drink, I'm just job hunting again-maybe a different field this time around.

Stay strong those of you that do have to deal with this kind of environment at work-it's not easy, but can be done.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Several thoughts;

The article- Reading through the article I noticed that the writer offered not one piece of data to back up his assertion. Not one survey and no facts and figures.

In my personal experience this is happening less and less. Especially at companies that are not privately owned - larger companies. They don't want to be sued.

For instance, last Friday there was a going away party for an employee where I work. Not a company event - just a bunch of people at a party after work. There was very little drinking. I was sitting next to my boss and another guy from my department. None of us drank alcohol. And I know the other two occasionally have a drink - but not on this occasion.

I know it happens but it seems like it's happening less and less.

Considering this writer has also written articles about dogs watching TV I don't put a lot of weight in his opinion.

Should Your Dog Be Watching TV? - NYTimes.com

But it this post does bring up the sometimes touchy subject of refusing to drink when others are so into it. As much as possible I just say, "I'm not a drinker."

If this is what it takes to get ahead in a company I just wonder about the quality of work coming from that company. Most of the situations I've encountered where folks get ahead because they party down with the crowd are situations where the work done sucks. I don't look to partiers for good work. At least that's my experience.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm he new girl at my office. Of course everyone pays a little more attention, right? Well twice in one week we have been out at a work function and the boss has pressured me to have a drink. I just look at him and say, it's not gonna happen. I don't drink at work events. It's nobody's business wht I do. I will say, these people think I'm a little priss. Ha! If o Lu they knew!
Old 03-25-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sunshine - that's a VERY smart move.

Congrats.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober Date: March 10, 2013

Happy Destiny thats the business that got me into this!!! 13 years I ran an upscale restaurant, drinking and eating were part of the culture! And very much a given that you partake. It started small for me at first as I never drank before that, but I was a full blown daily drinker by the time I left the biz 2 years ago.

As to the article, I do know exec's in those positions, especially in corporate sales, and this mindset does exist. Amazing how much 'credibility' we give to alcohol, isn't it?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Every business owner I know has a bottle in their desk drawer.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I just fake it!

I have started creating these non alcoholic cocktails that resemble alcoholic drinks. Like keeping bilberry extract with you and ordering a glass of sparkling water in a wine glass, then just put some bilberry drops in and viola! You have instant red wine minus the alcohol bonus***** better eye sight! Or I will order non alcoholic beer when available. I think for me, having a faux drink is for my own comfort level more than others