Notices

32 hours into oxy kick

Old 03-25-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

32 hours into oxy kick

Hello and thank you for taking your time to read my post

I have been clean now for the last 24 hours thx to a couple of sub strips a buddy gave me. I have enough subs till prob wed or thurs if I try tapering down as I go. 2 8 mg strips. First day sunday took 4 mg and was good for about 24 hours so I took another 4 mg today and am fine. I plan on trying 2 mg tomorrow and see if I can make it thru the day with just that. Otherwise ill take 4 mg total tomorrow too. The following 2 days I am going to take 2 mg each day as the physical **** from the oxy should have subsided by then. I just hope coming off these sub strips won't send me into wd.

I injured myself about 4 years ago in an accident. I fracture 3 ribs and have been plagued with back probs ever since. Herniated disc in my back w severe nerve pain that shoots down my leg and backside 24/7 ever since. I have been on oxy and percs for that amount of time given by my doctor for chronic pain. 60 oxy and 120 percs ea month. It's my own fault that I got addicted to them. Started off using them how they should be used and that lasted till I wasn't getting high anymore. Got to the point where my 2 scripts weren't lasting 5-6 days. After the week that those would last I'd buy 80 op's (ER) and 30 oc's (IR) to get me by. Would take 3-30's or 6-30s along with 2-3 80's a day, depending on how much $ I cld afford. I lost my job and almost my life. I am determined to beat this ****. What scares the **** outta me is knowing that my pain is still here. I called my dr and told her I'm done w the meds and do not want them anymore. I really just wanted to burn that bridge so I can force myself off of it . Unfortunately, the doctors don't tell you that they don't help you get off the meds once they have you hooked.

I know that my pain is going to be the constant reminder...
Old 03-25-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't know anything about pills (I was a wino) but want to welcome you to SR!
Old 03-25-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

You might want to check out the threads here...

Suboxone/Methadone Maintenance or Detox - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 03-25-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome!

Also, thanks for the info! I will check it out now.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Please speak with a doctor on a proper taper, it may help you!
Old 03-25-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

yeah, that works if you have insurance...unfortunately, I do not. I have tried to quit a few times already so I am familiar with the symptoms and how to counter the WD symptoms. I appreciate and understand the advice. thanks.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had to use 4mg more of the strip last night because the wd's were too bad. I have 1-2 doses left but don't feel too bad at the moment. I am fearful for when these strips run out but am optimistic that by Tom the worst of the physical **** will be gone and be more mental at that point. I appreciate the support here.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi there, I am new on here too as of today and your post caught my attention as I too am kicking pills, a combo of 4 diff brands....which iv tapered down individually, Technically my sober date is the 19th as iv been on only prescribed meds by my Dr to counteract the WD this past week ...so today is my first full day without anything at all. So I really feel for you, hope your ok I havnt stopped eating all day!!!
Old 03-26-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What were you prescribed for wd from your doc, if you don't mind me asking? I haven't really ate in a few days except what I've forced myself to eat at night. Im glad that you can eat as many ppl cannot. I've been tryin a lot of fruits and veg to get the nutrients I need. Good luck to you as well!
Old 03-26-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by BigEcho View Post
What were you prescribed for wd from your doc, if you don't mind me asking? I haven't really ate in a few days except what I've forced myself to eat at night. Im glad that you can eat as many ppl cannot. I've been tryin a lot of fruits and veg to get the nutrients I need. Good luck to you as well!
BE - asking for medical advice is not allowed or recommended here. If you need it, please visit a doctor. I understand you do not have insurance, but have you explored free or low cost clinics in your area? There are many availalble. And even if there aren't, a basic trip to the walk-in clinic is a small price to pay for peace of mind. Best of luck and congrats on your decision to be sober.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I can appreciate that in a forum. I wasn't looking to score whatever they are taking just wondering what it was in comparison to what I've been given, by a doctor. See I also have gabapentin and clonidine as well as some Xanax. If they made it a week on something similar than that gives me hope for at least a week. If that is prohibited to be talked about than I apologize for asking. I've never used these forums before to express my situation. I'm sorry.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I can appreciate that in a forum. I wasn't looking to score whatever they are taking just wondering what it was in comparison to what I've been given, by a doctor. See I also have gabapentin and clonidine as well as some Xanax. If they made it a week on something similar than that gives me hope for at least a week. If that is prohibited to be talked about than I apologize for asking. I've never used these forums before to express my situation. I'm sorry.
We are glad you are here, and please stick around - there is lots of support, just not medical advice. And assuming you obtained all the drugs you mention above without a prescription since you haven't been to a doctor - please seek professional advice before taking any of them alone or in combination.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I got these meds from my doctor. I have dosing instructions. I just do not have the ability to go back again due I cost. Nor am I able to afford a doc that prescribes subs as they usually don't take insurance and primary care doesn't prescribe these types of meds. I def plan to stick around. thanks. Oh.. I am also from central Wisconsin. I wouldn't put myself in danger. I do appreciate the info and support so far though.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I got these meds from my doctor. I have dosing instructions. I just do not have the ability to go back again due I cost. Nor am I able to afford a doc that prescribes subs as they usually don't take insurance and primary care doesn't prescribe these types of meds. I def plan to stick around. thanks. Oh.. I am also from central Wisconsin. I wouldn't put myself in danger. I do appreciate the info and support so far though.
Many areas in wisconsin have free or sliding fee treatment/addiction clinics you can visit too if you do feel you need help. Not sure where in Central WI you are from, but Wausau has Northcentral Healthcare Addiction | North Central Health Care which has lots of good resources if you need them.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi there, I get what the person is saying re medical advice, and am so glad you told me coz i actually responded to someone last night who was asking about beta blockers, my husband is a Cardiologist and I was trying to help, had no clue you wernt allowed to do things like that ..so thanks for that, i wouldnt want to be kicked off, this site has really been helping me the past few days since i found it.
BigEcho i probs wouldnt have been much help anyway ..our health service is very different in the UK. Il tell you about my own personal experience, coz i actually turned my life round completely once so I KNOW i can beat this too: I got hooked on Oxycontin, Tramadol codeine phosphate & diazepam following being really ill after having a baby 4 years ago. Id struggled with alcohol most of my life and thought it was wonderful that id found this escape that no one could tell i was experiencing, i mean everyone used to be able to tell really easily and shout at me when i was drunk, suddenly i could get off my face and no one new. Until of course i was taking so much i wasnt getting out of bed for weeks, not showering or getting dressed and falling asleep with my face in a plate of food at black tie events and embarrassing my husband. B4 you think OMG spoilt little rich girl!! That is so not the case, let me tell you! I grew up in social housing, to a single mom on welfare, i remember having no food growing up, I started to drink at 17, got pregnant, was homeless..etc.etc in abusive relationships, but then about 12 years ago, I looked at my little girl one morning & decided no more ...i got a charity college scholarship for single moms recovering from alcohol and actually managed to graduate!! became an RN then met my husband who is my whole life. It is of course bizarre to everyone who new me back then that iv now developed a problem with pills, I have everything I ever wanted! Iv accidently OD' 3times in the past year, ending up in the hospital my husband works in, iv just lost my job which id been hanging onto by a thread & iv maxed out 3 personal loans and 6 credit cards on pills. We have had to put our house up for sale. Im stupid, but I know I can beat this! My psychologist has tapered me off each drug gradually & individually. Started with the OXY then the others, they were locked up, my hubby gave me them b4 he went to work, my sister came round to give me them at lunch time and then hubby again at night. Everything is now finished, the only thing im taking now is a drug we call dihydrocodeine which is commonly used over here in the later stages of opiate withdrawal from pills & heroin. It is opiate based tho, I only get 1 tablet in the morning. Iv also been prescribed some sleeping pills as I cant sleep at all since coming down, im trying not to take them though. I cant believe you cant get help or anything if u dont have insurance, that must be so tough, how do people manage? Thank God for the UK National Health Service! Do you have charities or anything that can help. How about church groups? It was actually a Church group that helped me 12 years ago and got me on the college programme? And my church is helping me get through this now ..however I know thats not everyones thing! How are you doing today?
Old 03-27-2013, 01:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Not sure if this counts as medical advice, sorry if it does ..but i feel really its just a general observation. Gabapentin is commonly used over here for Orthopaedic injuries, disc stuff, exactly like you describe your injury. Its great and poweful as it acts on the nerves and its non addictive, so as the other guy says you need to take it on medical advice only, but you need to follow your script, it works after about a week of regualr taking, so dont miss doses, skip or double up it wont work, take it as your dr says.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your story with me it's always good to talk to someone that knows exactly what you are going thru. I have been taking the gabapentin as prescribed but I get very drowsy on it. I also have lost my job and that's why I have no insurance. Most free / charity programs around me are full or methadone clinics. I really want nothing to do with methadone due to it being as bad if not worse than the oxy IMO. In the US we are all supposed to have healthcare... I applied 6 months ago and had 143000 people ahead of me on a waiting list . I am not religious at all and would feel horrible asking a church for money when there are people with children that cannot feed them or pay rent or for heat. I screwed myself and will find a way out. I have to be the strong one. It sounds like you have a phenomenal support system! I am very happy to hear that! That's probably the most important tool for recovery. I found some Kratom and it seems to help a bit with the pain so I am very happy for that. Although, it also is not cheap since ppl use it to get high at very high doses.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Thanks for checking in, Big Echo!

I hope you looked at FlappyD's thread and some of the others here.

I go to NA meetings for inspiration and support. It would be a pleasure to see you there!
Old 03-27-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey there, Hope ur days gone ok, i understand exactly what your saying about the church & people with kids, I think my biggest thing is guilt & shame & that iv done this to myself, so I have to deal with this myself. I know thats not really true and we r sick but i feel that too all the time! Sounds like you injured urself at the same time as me as well, my injury was 4 years ago just after I had my son. Hope your not in too much pain, thats the problem isnt it, when you have a genuine injury and genuine pain, its so tough. Iv struggled massively today, I lost my main job (long story) but I still have my P/T one & iv just come home from work, iv had to carry the drug cupboard keys and its taken every ounce of strength not to take something! But im home now, so all is good. I am lucky to have so much support, I hope your day is going ok, hang in there This is probs a silly suggestion but have you tried mundane things like applying those microwave heat packs, and Brufen gels and heat rubs!? Anything is worth a try if it keeps you off the pills right!?