Notices

Do you smoke more sober?

Old 03-25-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do you smoke more sober?

I thought I smoked alot when I drank, but I'm averaging a 1/2 pack a day more when sober.

Should I try to curb this while trying to quit drinking, or is it best to focus on one thing at a time.

Anyone else smoke a ton more when not drinking?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Originally Posted by Dib42 View Post
I thought I smoked alot when I drank, but I'm averaging a 1/2 pack a day more when sober.

Should I try to curb this while trying to quit drinking, or is it best to focus on one thing at a time.

Anyone else smoke a ton more when not drinking?
And there's me thinking I'd done a stellar job cutting down to half a pack! There's no right or wrong, mate. I gave up at the same time as stopping drinking this go around. I started again after 14 days as it was all getting a bit much. Didn't beat myself up on it.

My advice would be just go with your instincts and don't stress too much about it. You'll know when you're ready for the long haul on it.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can relate--I know I need to quit this nasty habit & have been putting it off too long. I hope the day comes when I can put the smokes away....I smoke about 4 cigs a day...
Old 03-25-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nattythreads View Post
And there's me thinking I'd done a stellar job cutting down to half a pack! There's no right or wrong, mate. I gave up at the same time as stopping drinking this go around. I started again after 14 days as it was all getting a bit much. Didn't beat myself up on it.

My advice would be just go with your instincts and don't stress too much about it. You'll know when you're ready for the long haul on it.
Cutting down to half a pack is awesome.

I smoke about 1/2-3/4 a pack on drunk days. I smoke 1.5 packs on sober days plus I've been using an E-cig on top of that.

I feel like its a race between the liquor and the cigarettes on which one is going to take me out first.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I smoke less when sober; about a1/2 a pack a day, and that's still too much. The nicotine addiction is the next to go.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Originally Posted by Dib42 View Post
Cutting down to half a pack is awesome.

I smoke about 1/2-3/4 a pack on drunk days. I smoke 1.5 packs on sober days plus I've been using an E-cig on top of that.

I feel like its a race between the liquor and the cigarettes on which one is going to take me out first.
Yeah I've got an ecig. I find it's really useful in questioning whether you actually need that real cigarette then and there or whether it's just a habit one. It's definitely slashed my consumption.

I've got a friend and she's totally and happily addicted to her ecig now. She figures that whatever the scare stories, it's got to be better than smoking. Hard to argue with that one really................
Old 03-25-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Smoking and drinking were inextricably linked for me, so I quit both together to stop one triggering the other.

I'd say you're probably compensating for the lack of alcohol by being more lax about the other addictive activity. I'd also say that that's fine for now if it's helping you to stay sober. One thing at a time! I would have found it much harder to quit drinking if I was still smoking, as cigarettes trigger a little voice that tells me 'you'd enjoy me even more with a glass of wine in your hand!'
Old 03-25-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nattythreads View Post
Yeah I've got an ecig. I find it's really useful in questioning whether you actually need that real cigarette then and there or whether it's just a habit one. It's definitely slashed my consumption.

I've got a friend and she's totally and happily addicted to her ecig now. She figures that whatever the scare stories, it's got to be better than smoking. Hard to argue with that one really................

Yeah, definately cheaper, and better for you.... The only real risk I can think of is the E-cig blowing up in your face.... oddly enough, that's still safer than regular cigarettes.

I was a %100 E-smoker for awhile.... Then I lost the charger for awhile... sad times.... I'm hoping to go 99-100% e smoker at some point... but I don't want to over do it right now, with the whole trying to stop drinking thing.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yep deffo smoking twice as much as before (when not at work) was thinking this very thing this morning when I had a cig realising I could still taste the last one,

I have no intentions of quitting at the moment.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Me too, smoking more. Hope to work on giving them up a couple months into sobriety. (5 weeks now). I really hope to succeed in ridding myself of the toxic life (drink/smoke)
Old 03-25-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm smoking about the same. And also not even attempting to stop or slow down until the alcohol is under control more. My smoking pre-dates my drinking and will be a bear all by itself to deal with.