Notices

Made it Six days, but couldn't quite get through the weekend.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made it Six days, but couldn't quite get through the weekend.

I made it six days sober, which was a huge accomplishment, i haven't been sober for six days in a row in probably a decade. I couldn't quite make it through the weekend though. I knocked back a pint of whiskey and a six pack. (which for me is actually cutting down quite a bit).

I had a very busy weekend remodelling my daughters room, and often when I do any sort of project of this nature I add a couple beers and shots to make it a bit more enjoyable. (Yes I'm aware of the dangers of power tools and liquor, but I'm an alcoholic. . .)

Also this helps me be patient with my kids, It sucks doing a big project like this on your weekend, and having to constantly stop to make chocolate milk, get snacks, find lost toys, etc etc. Typical child stuff, that doesn't normally bother me, unless I'm neck deep in stain and drywall and furniture... etc...
I think my wife was tied up with the baby, so the toddler kept coming to me for help. . . So rather than asserting myself, I drove to the store and picked up some cheap whiskey and beer.

Fortunately I didn't do anything stupid, didn't hurt anyones feelings, and didn't make anyone mad (other than myself for messing up my streak).

But that's not the point, I'm back on sober day 1 (and happy to be here), Maybe I can beat my record this go around.... Don't know, but I'm going to have to figure out a way to get through the weekends.... that was really tough.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

6 days is still a huge achievement, as you've said you haven't done that in a decade. I think people can sometimes get hung up on the whole counting days thing. I quite like it, as it helps me feel a sense of achievement each day, but I can see why people dislike 'counting'.

What's important is that you're back here now. I don't think any of us here have gotten sober on our first attempt, its such a huge life change. Hope you're not feeling to bad today, and best of luck
Old 03-25-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"We are ALL on Day 1, every day when we wake up in the morning" - that's what my councilor in treatment told us. No matter how many days you have under your belt, when you wake up it's Day 1 again.

That means not breaking your streaks. I offer my sincere congratulations on your longest achievement without alcohol, but don't get too cocky! As you know there are tons of things that can throw us off.

Sounds like a solid plan might be in order...have you got any plans to quit?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
"We are ALL on Day 1, every day when we wake up in the morning" - that's what my councilor in treatment told us. No matter how many days you have under your belt, when you wake up it's Day 1 again.

That means not breaking your streaks. I offer my sincere congratulations on your longest achievement without alcohol, but don't get too cocky! As you know there are tons of things that can throw us off.

Sounds like a solid plan might be in order...have you got any plans to quit?
I plan on quitting, but I have no plan to quit. Right now I'm just trying to learn how to do things sober. How to be patient, how to make boring tasks tolerable or fun without liquor...

I think having the mentality of each day being day one, or being sober just for today, makes a lot of sense. However, I'm quite fond of counting days, Its kind of like stamping the side of a fighter plane.

I knew the weekend would be bit hairy and I made it through friday and saturday, but sunday rolled around and I think because I knew it'd be hard I tricked myself into giving in...
Old 03-25-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Getting into a routine that does not include drinking is paramount in our recovery. We need to have a plan when these times of temptation and old reactions & behavior come to us. I try & reach out to someone during these times or at least read some literature to keep me on track. Of course thinking and knowing where the drinking took us in the past is always helpful. It take time & patience.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You sound a lot like me; I can go brief periods of time without getting drunk, but then on the weekend my addicted voice will scream, "this is your last chance to get loaded! Sure you want to miss out?" Of course the answer is to continue to abstain but its easier said than done.

Something I have heard shared on these forums from many different users is that if sobriety was easy than we wouldn't have to work for it and there would be no AA, no subtance abuse counselors, and no soberrecovery. And, if sobriety wasn't worth it, no one would work hard to obtain it.

Im rooting for both of us to make it past this weekend sober and here's to starting an alcohol free life today.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I messed up this weekend as well. I dont know what feels worse the hangover or the fact I let myself down. I called off work today and am home alone sitty in self pitty. Ahh day 1 AGAIN
Old 03-25-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day 1 is better than giving up.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

"Fortunately I didn't do anything stupid"

I disagree with your statement. It sounds like you drank a lot after not drinking for a week.

....and then there are small children and safety for all to be considered.....

Your tolerance is messed up now, the body wants what it may not be able to handle. They used to use alcohol for patients before surgery.....

Just be careful
Old 03-25-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

"We are ALL on Day 1, every day when we wake up in the morning"
THAT'S a good one.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great job on 6 days, that's progress! Keep moving forward!
Old 03-25-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

It's not 6 days, the drinking was over this weekend

Congrats if you stopped again.

It's staying stopped that is the difficult part.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You can start fresh!
Old 03-25-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
It's not 6 days, the drinking was over this weekend

Congrats if you stopped again.

It's staying stopped that is the difficult part.
I've stopped again for now.... we'll see how it goes. I think I'm a bit more prepared to face a weekend now, but first I got to make sure I'm not overlooking the weekdays.

Staying stopped is the difficult part.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

You can stay stopped!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RightLAine View Post
I messed up this weekend as well. I dont know what feels worse the hangover or the fact I let myself down. I called off work today and am home alone sitty in self pitty. Ahh day 1 AGAIN
You didn't "mess up." You are human and going through a very difficult process! If it were easy, this website wouldn't exist in the first place. Don't beat yourself up. Just try to learn something from it and move forward. You're on a journey!!