Notices

No recovery

Old 03-24-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No recovery

I don't want to recover.. I like .. reading about how others have though.. thats dandy... as a nihilist and older then half the people here I cannot, and will not recover. But still.. Cheers.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Alright. You can still hang around here and read how others have recovered and are recovering. Good luck to you!
Old 03-24-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's your choice
Old 03-24-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
in the drain

sounds to me like a call? Age has nothing to do with recovering, you can always do better for yourself, regardless of age. I do know where your coming from though.

Cheers.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
SR has over 115,000 members. You know how old they all are? It appears you are not only a nihilist, but also a psychic. Now THAT'S dandy.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Here's a thread you might want to read:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ing-older.html
Old 03-24-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's a free country and you have free will, so enjoy your life in a way that works for you. I'll admit there are times I also feel like I should just accept my desires for mood altering substances; but when I think it through I realize in the long run I'll have a better life if I stay sober. Hopefully, you're not hurting anyone else with your DOC usage.

If you change your mind about recovering, this site is a good place to start.

Cheers
Old 03-24-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 211inprogress View Post
as a nihilist

that must be exhausting
Old 03-24-2013, 08:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi 211-

The thought of getting sober can be overwhelmingly scary - I know if was for me. Sounds like your AV might be throwing up some walls to rationalize to keep you from trying.

Curious - what's behind the nihilsm and old age that your AV is holding onto?

Worst thing that can happen if you try sobriety is that you'll be right back to where you are now.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I don't want to recover.. I like .. reading about how others have though.. thats dandy... as a nihilist and older then half the people here I cannot, and will not recover. But still.. Cheers.

Reading thru others recovery is a good start. I think there is a tiny part of you that wants to recover or you wouldn't have posted.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Originally Posted by avocado View Post
that must be exhausting

But looking on the bright side, surely as a nihilist there must come a point where you think "well there's no point in drinking any more?"
Old 03-24-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Say what you will about the tenets of recovery, but at least it's an ethos.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

211 I think if you keep coming here you will see what underlys this forum is love. I hope it changes your whole perspective on life. Whether you want to recover or not, we are here for you.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I found this really interesting because I've been told a number of times I am a nihilist. I don't think my life has any particular purpose other than to cycle matter and energy...just like every other thing in the Universe.

I don't believe in an afterlife. This is it, consciousness is a function of the brain. Brain dies, no more consciousness. There is no absolute truth or morality, but it's a very useful social construct.

It is EXACTLY those things that make me want to recover! This is my life, my only life. I've experienced active addiction, time for something else because I may as well experience all I can, I mean, why the heck not? I'm here for the ride may as well enjoy the scenery.

The thing with nihilism is that sometimes people, ironically, make it it's OWN purpose. Or seem to be darned determined to prove it as some sort of truth and purpose. Their life, or lack there of, becomes about proving the point of nihilism, instead of just living.

I know nothing about the OP, or if this applies to them..it's just that this post got me thinking of the times people have told me that philosophically I am a nihilist...am I? Darned if I know, but I see no point in throwing away my life just because it serves no grand purpose, it's mine. That's enough.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This person comes in once, posts something negative and does not want to change, and gets 13 responses. Meanwhile there are other posts out there where people are trying to get help and cure themselves that have received far less attention. Just pointing that out (as I post response #14).
Old 03-25-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

And you live in Texas! That figures! (I'm a member of a very exclusive club- folks who have watched every episode of Dallas! It's all about alcohol. J.R. can't walk into a room without heading for the bar. Maybe he's also a nihilist!).

W.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
This person comes in once, posts something negative and does not want to change, and gets 13 responses. Meanwhile there are other posts out there where people are trying to get help and cure themselves that have received far less attention. Just pointing that out (as I post response #14).
You are so right. I need to do more posting on those other threads started by people who are sincerely asking for help.

I also agree with LadyinBC that a tiny part of the OP wants to recover.

The thing is, "a tiny part" isn't anywhere near enough to get the job done. The tiny part has to be the part that wants to continue to drink (something I think most of us can relate to), the rest has to want to get sober.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

~Im not even sure what a nihilist is....but you didnt just come here to tell us you dont want to recover...Im sure its a cry for help/attention.

The others here were very kind to respond, in mostly positive ways.

I love this site...so glad I found you all!

I know one thing....when I wanted to continue drinking....I never searched online for a sobriety forum.

9 days today! Thank you all for being here, with me!
Old 03-25-2013, 07:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
I suspect the OP may have wanted to yank our chains and elicit some sort of response. It worked, but I think he may have been looking for us to respond with irritation, criticism and condemnation. Obviously, that's not what happened. That alone speaks volumes about the character of the people posting here.

Either that or there is a part of him that really does desire to get sober; I think many posters sensed that and respond in kind.

But your point is well taken.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BEAUTIFULIFE View Post
9 days today! Thank you all for being here, with me!
And thank you for being here for us (and you're right on about seeking an online sobriety forum when you wanted to keep drinking).

OP sounds to me like a person who wants to want to stop drinking but does not yet, as Augusten Burroughs put it, "authentically" want it. Yet. For a very, very long time, I was the same way.

But maybe this forum can serve as a path to a true desire to quit.