Notices

Sobriety Date 01/30/2010 Recent dual diagnosed

Old 03-24-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety Date 01/30/2010 Recent dual diagnosed

Newly diagnosed as severe bi-polar, ADHD and Depression. I have recently been put on some meds to help with leveling out. I expressed to some of my closest friends what was going on and they immediately started to tell me that my depression, suicidal thoughts were because I'm not spiritual enough. I need a support group who understands that I was doing everything asked from the program. I serve on three Advisory Councils for Statewide and Regional Conferences. I need someone who understands what I'm going through to talk to.......i guess.

Last edited by wadeaaservice; 03-24-2013 at 06:43 PM. Reason: more inform needed in title
Old 03-24-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wadeaaservice View Post
Newly diagnosed as severe bi-polar, ADHD and Depression. I have recently been put on some meds to help with leveling out. I expressed to some of my closest friends what was going on and they immediately started to tell me that my depression, suicidal thoughts were because I'm not spiritual enough. I need a support group who understands that.
Welcome wade, I am also bi polar. People who don't have it really can't understand. I am very spiritual but I still have bi -polar. It's just their opinion.
You will find help in here , I think there is a mental heath forum, I am gonna go check it out to. Glad you are here. Are you also in recovery for addiction?
Old 03-24-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome wade aa service (is that how you pronounce it?)

There is a lot to learn here at SoberRecovery.com. Look over the mental health forums, you can get a variety of views on topics. Sometimes it takes a while for your posts to get answers there.

But there's always something going on here in the Newcomer's forum. This is the lifeboat, grab an oar!
Old 03-24-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome WadeAAService -

I think most people offer what works for them because they dearly want to help, and unless they've been through it as well, it can be hard to relate. If you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail...

For a different perspective, I highly recommend watching Robert Sapolsky's Stanford Depression lecture on Youtube (link below if it comes through, otherwise search for it) to understand what happens in the brain from a physiological and psychological perspective when it is under the stress that you have no doubt been experiencing.

Sapolsky is the leading researcher on stress and is a professor at Stanford. He has an incredibly high self-induced stress level himself - we study what we know.

Stanford's Sapolsky On Depression in U.S. (Full Lecture) - YouTube
Old 03-25-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

That stuff has nothing to do with Not being spiritaul enough, would they say that if you was diagnosed with cancer! Just because it comes from the mouth of someone in aa dont take it for gospel.!
Old 03-25-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Welcome (((((Wade))))).

I too was diagnosed Bi Polar at 9 years sober.

Like a now passed member here, I say, my medical and mental health problems are between myself and my doctor.

My sobriety problems are between myself and AA.

Even our Big Book says that sometimes professional help is needed.

So for your own 'peace of mind' and serenity, just be careful on whom you choose to discuss these new diagnosis with. Folks in AA sometimes just do not get it that more help than AA is sometimes needed.

I do understand, the people that responded the way they did, do not understand at this point in time, but their HP willing somewhere down the line they will as they continue to grow and change.

Once the medications start working and they tweek your dosages you will be absolutely amazed at how much better you feel and how much better you react to different situations. I could not believe the 'difference' for me. No more of those 'highs' that were just way too high and i felt like I was going 90 mph standing still, and no more visiting the 'abyss' so far down into it I didn't know if I would ever get out.

I am glad that you have gone further to get yourself healthy!

Love and hugs,
Old 04-04-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you so much to everyone who has offered their support in here. I have talked to a few other dual diagnosed members who have been also very reassuring. I hope to be logged in here more often
Old 04-04-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Thanks for checking in with us!

I hope you do share your experience here. You could be helpful to others!
Old 04-04-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Have you looked for Dual Diagnosis meetings in your area? They DO exist in many areas.... I find them to be extremely honest meetings.