Notices

24 hours Sober

Old 03-24-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy 24 hours Sober

I feel like I am coming out of my skin. I have waves of nausea and feel so anxious it's not even funny. I haven't had a drink but feel like I drank all night. How can that be? I feel hung over. How long does this last? This is horrible. I startle at every noise and of course there is noise everywhere. The TV is too loud. The dogs are barking. The fish tank filter is too loud. I don't know if I can do this. I think I am going crazy. I want a drink sooooo bad.....
Mama2Many
Old 03-24-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Mama. Yes, that's about right. Exactly how I felt 24 hours in. I did a lot of pacing and crying, too. I kept holding on to the fact that once I got through it, I'd never have to go back to hell again. Think about the bright, sober future you're going to have when this phase is over. Every day you'll feel a little better - my first two were the hardest.

Did you get any advice from a doctor? I didn't, but I wish I had. Glad you posted about it, Mama - you aren't alone.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome...

If your symptoms get worse, go see a doctor ASAP...

Glad you are here ! It gets easier, much much easier !
Old 03-24-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
in the drain

I'm on my first day as well. Alcohol was not my drug of choice but I know what it's like to be anxious and have everything be too loud, all that jazz. I'm living it with you.

We can get through it though, because we are better people than that. We made the choice to be sober, so let's.

You can always IM me for somebody to talk to.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I had a rough time for the first three or four days then started feeling much better, more human and less like a ball of anxiety. Please do see a doctor if you're feeling too badly. Medical help can be given to lessen the withdrawals symptoms and keep your w/d safe.

You can do this and you never have to go thru this again.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am feeling a bit better. Doctor gave me something for the anxiety and something for the nausea. It makes me a little sleepy. Yet, I can't go to sleep. I start to go to sleep and the nightmares start. I wake up suddenly, in a cold sweat.
Thank you all for your support and advice. I appreciate it. I am trying hard this time.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It gets better....much better.
We have trained our brain to believe it needs poison. It takes it a little while to figure out that there is no poison coming. When it does, it starts functioning like its supposed to like back in the pre-poison days. I hope that makes sense.
Be good to yourself. Eat if you can. Drink water. Take showers. Try to stay busy. Things will calm down soon and you'll agree that it was worth every minute.
All the best.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

First 24 to 48 hours seem to be the worst then you get a bit of a roller coaster ride, good luck. Glad you saw your Dr, be prepared for your emotions to bounce its normal I got feelings of impending doom , it was easier to cope with them when told it was not unusual .
This place was the greatest help of all. Life just keeps getting better, keep on .
Good luck John.

Last edited by Spinach; 03-25-2013 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Spelling