Notices

Shaking Hands

Old 03-24-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Shaking Hands

My father in law is an alcoholic. When he has not been drinking for a while he gets the shakes. Sometimes he does not get the shakes when he is in withdrawal. Has anyone else experienced withdrawal shakes like this? Sometimes you get them and sometimes you don't?
Old 03-24-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The shakes may be withdrawal ..... or fear. Was in my case anyway.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-24-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Shakes are common withdrawl symptoms for alcoholics. I had them, sometimes due to alcohol withdrawl, sometimes due to anxiety, most of the time both.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Did you get them every time you withdrew? Or just sometimes?
Old 03-24-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My last sobriety attempt lasted 13 days. Some days I would shake, some days I would not. Some shaky days were worse than others. Water and sleep are a huge help.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Happened to me all the time. Sometimes on withdrawal, sometimes not. Sometimes well in to a clean phase. You damage yourself so much, both physical and mental recovery can take what seems like forever.

If you're still at the stage where you are lucky enough to recover, that is.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you Green Beans. I am trying to talk my ex father in law into getting help. He does not think it is the alcohol. I don't really care. I just want him to get professional help one way or the other. It is terrible when you are not even related to someone and yet you seem to be the only one that realizes someone has a serious health concern.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nattythreads... I fear you may have hit the nail on the head. He will not be lucky enough to recover. He has drank every day of his adult like. He is 53. His wife of 33 years has been the main enabler. Don't tell her that though.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Originally Posted by Uncleluckey View Post
Nattythreads... I fear you may have hit the nail on the head. He will not be lucky enough to recover. He has drank every day of his adult like. He is 53. His wife of 33 years has been the main enabler. Don't tell her that though.
And don't blame his wife. Nobody to blame but himself.

But while there's breath in his body, it's never too late. If you're looking for ideas about how to approach it head on, may I suggest you have a look at the "Friends and Family" section in here? It's full of excellent material and advice.

Best to you

NT
Old 03-24-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Well, I'm 50, drank for 34 years, my wife is an alcoholic too. We both quit 145 days ago, but it took at lot of will power and support from both of us.

AA can cure the alcoholics, Al-Anon is an organization for friends and family of alcoholics. And there is a section of this forum too: Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Oh, about the shakes. Sure, I got them; my wife did too. It was a minor symptom to me, other things we endured were much worse. Why would someone give up having the shakes, if they can drink?

Last edited by Coldfusion; 03-24-2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: about the shakes
Old 03-24-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

Originally Posted by Uncleluckey View Post
As long as he is still breathing I never will give up on a Alcoholic..Sister Ignatia..

I drank daily from 20 years old to 39. I shook terribly every day for the last 9 years of drinking.. By the end it took about 5 heavy shots and a couple beers to stop and "feel better"..

And alot of people talk of the enabler. As I did in the past.. But I really came to grips that they didn't enable me, I just used them, for no matter what I would of done what I was going to do..

AA saved this alcoholic from that life....
Old 03-24-2013, 09:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Again the question is, if you got the shakes from alcohol withdrawal, do you, or did you, get the shakes all the time?
Old 03-24-2013, 09:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

Every morning for the last 9 years of my drinking I would Shake.. Badly like I could not get a spoon to my mouth with anything in it by the time I got have way to my mouth..

That is alcohol withdrawal.. A hangover is also small form of withdrawal..

But yes until I could drink several large shots of 80 or 100 proof liquor with a couple drinks, then I would be able to stop shaking..

So I don't know what other kind of answer your looking for..

I went into alcohol withdrawal every day.. And when quit drinking it took months to stop shaking..
Old 03-24-2013, 09:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've always gotten very shaky just from being nervous. Talking in front of crowds, talking about subjects that I wasn't comfortable with, having a confrontation with someone. That was before I ever started drinking. I've always just been an anxious person. It could be just that with the alcohol. I'm just guessing, but those kind of shakes go away much faster. Within minutes sometimes. That's just me.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I only get it sometimes ,last few withdrawls ive been ok ..time before that i was shaking so bad i couldnt hold a tool ,it was really embarassing because i was working in a customers house at the time
Old 03-24-2013, 09:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

I've been sober 9mths & sometimes I'll shake but now its coz I'm nervous. Used to have the DT's real bad when woke up next day & had nthg to sip on so it mostly depends on the person
ITS THE BODY SAYING & PROTESTING "STOOOOOP ABUSIIIIIIING ME"!