Notices

Most productive Saturday in a long time.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Most productive Saturday in a long time.

This is my 4th day sober. I finally slept last night! (I suffered 72 hours of absolutely brutal insomnia). This is what I have accomplished today:

-Woke up, took the low dose anxiety med doctor prescribed for withdrawals.
-Walked 15 mins to the local shopping center and got a haircut. Had a nice chat with the stylist.
-Walked over to the store, bought some lunch fixings.
-Walked 15 mins home, cooked lunch and ate.
-Assaulted my bedroom. I am a BAD hoarder of cans/bottles and garbage when I binge. I compiled several bags of 24oz cans, fast food bags, just general TRASH from my closet. I took several trips to the apartment complex compactor and purged it all.
-Organized the bedroom a bit. My closet now has nothing but clothing.

Whew. Normally, after getting so much done in one day, I'd feel so proud of myself I'd crack a beer! Then another. And another. Then wake up on the couch sweating and not knowing precisely what day it is...

Instead, I'm going to crack open a Mountain Dew, and practice for my college placement exam. This forum is literally saving my life, lol. Thanks for being here.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Way to go! What a great feeling. Keep up the good work!
Old 03-23-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks! So I slipped up on the studying, and instead started watching stupid things on Netflix. But I guess that's the best kind of slip-up I could have lately. :P
Old 03-23-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Whatever works. I describe my detox experience as some kind of spiritual awakening, but in fact all we did was watch videos (in between meetings, therapy, sleep...sleep...)
Old 03-23-2013, 08:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think watching stupid things on netflix, and lifetime television should be listed somewhere in the detox/recovery books that it is a really necessary and important thing to do to get on the right track

Well done on the cleaning and purging vastreaction. Feels great right?
Old 03-23-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yep the insomnia is terrible...but you got through it!

When we put our bodies through so much we forget just how great it feels to *sleep* and not pass out.

For me, having some order in my surroundings was a pretty accurate reflection of my own mind. Still true for me today at almost 2 years sober.

Well done
Old 03-23-2013, 08:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Today was my proudest Saturday in a long time. I told myself I was quitting Thursday, but my withdrawals were so bad (they get worse and worse with kindling) so I was trying to taper. I was still tapering today but I was still shaking and pacing. I finally got up the courage and told my parents I needed real help so I went to the doctors and got vitamins put into me and some anxiety meds, and while there talked to a therapist and signed up for intensive outcare recovery. I feel proud of myself for the first time in a while.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am the same way with hoarding cans in my room. I would stack them up inside my dresser drawers.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Tom that's awesome that you told your parents. I suffered through day one on my own, finally called my dad, and got myself an appointment with a doc for some B Vitamins and anxiety meds too. Yeah, I would stack cans and bottles in my dresser drawers.

My worst memory is taking them downstairs secretly to the garage, and smashing them in a bucket using the blunt end of an axe so that I could throw them away as shattered shards, thinking maybe nobody would know what they were. Then my roommate asked two days later "Why were you smashing a sh** load of beer bottles in the garage at 3 am?"

Embarrassing... glad that crap is over.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well soon we can hopefully look back with humor on some of the things we did, Vast.

I knew I had a problem when I started doing the hiding cans in dresser drawers thing. Sometimes I would be paranoid that the neighbors would see me taking them out in bulks, so I put empties in a duffle bag to take them out in.