Notices

need hope

Old 03-23-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy need hope

hi,im new here and its day 1 sober again.ive been in and out of aa for 20 plus years and i want to end the relapse cycle for good.start treatment monday night after work.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

Sounds like a great idea Jalier. Good to have you here, and that you feel better soon.

You have posted in an area where there is little general traffic. This post is likely to be moved by a moderator to the "newcomers section" that can be accessed from the main menu.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family from a fellow Buckeye.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello Jalier,
This is a good place to be. It has been a life-saver for me. I am sure we all look forward to hearing from you often. You can do this. The Sober Recovery website will help.
Also check out the chat room, if you get feeling squirrelly.

RDBplus3
Old 03-23-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hope?

how can i break the cycle? whats wrong with me that i cant get it?
Old 03-23-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Jalier, what have you tried in the past? Any methods such as AA, Christian counseling, therapy, rehab houses, grit-your-teeth white-knuckling?
What happened if you started and then 'failed'? Are you getting sober because you want to or know you need to? Or is it an ultimatum from someone else? Give us some background.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome jalier. We're so glad you joined us. Many of us have been in this same situation, so we understand how you're feeling.

You ask why you can't get it - but it sounds like you are getting it. You're starting treatment Monday. I struggled for many years with it, and always figured I could use willpower to control how much I drank. Once I gave up the idea that I could have 'one or two' I made it out of hell. Realizing that we can't touch the stuff is what is needed. Sometimes it takes awhile. It sounds like you're tired of the rollercoaster - this can be the end of that old, sick life. Never give up trying - you can do this.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

need hope

aa,sponsers, halfway houses,treatment centers,steps,probations,-had a year or so clean at lest 6 times but it always ends...oh,i am a crack addict by the way..
Old 03-23-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What Hevyn said was true: we have to really accept we can never have just one. A very wise woman on this site used to say "you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink" (or whatever your addiction is). Give yourself another chance. Work on changing yourself in treatment. It is possible to live clean and sober, but it takes work. Remember, you CAN do this.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jalier View Post
...oh,i am a crack addict by the way..
As am I. I quickly progressed to an ounce a day. I went from an muscular 250 lbs to a 120 lb skeleton. I lost half my teeth. In detoxing from crack my heart gave out and when the paramedics arrived I had no heartbeat. Upon rescucitation I found I could no longer read or write, nor could I walk unassisted. The doctors doubted that I would ever regain what I had lost - my heart was stopped for too long.

You want hope? I have been clean for twenty years now. I am back up to 250 lbs. I have written a book and am under contract from my publisher for two more. I have completed a marathon under my own power. More important than all that - my father respects me, my children look up to me, and my wife loves me.

You can do this. I am no stronger than anyone, nor am I weaker... if I can do it, so can you.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

wow..thank u