Notices

Sober and heartbroken

Old 03-23-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober and heartbroken

I lost a year long relationship because of my drinking. He didn't know I was drinking but I was acting very strange and he kicked me out? I went to the hospital the very next day and now he doesn't want me back because he drinks every day and doesn't want to be responsible for a relapse. Anyone with this experience?
Old 03-23-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Cc!

I could not live with someone who drinks. My wife and I both quit drinking 144 days ago, but until then we were both living with active alcoholics. For us, sobriety holds our relationship together.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you
Old 03-23-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, it seems like he's made his choice, so you just need to focus on your recovery.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are right Anna
Old 03-23-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Maybe now is the time for you to focus on yourself. It may be a blessing in disguise. Sometimes what I thought were the worst situations ended up being the best for ME in the long run. I went through a very similar situation, at the time it felt like the worst thing ever. But now I look back and thank god he broke up with me.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I guess one day I will be thankful. I am thankful for my sobriety but I am soo sad about him. I love him and this is going to be hard. I am also embarrassed. Anyway I have to let go and stop trying to control my life. I was with him for a year and only started drinking again the last two months of our relationship but that is plenty enough time to do lots of damage. Lesson learned. Thank you
Old 03-23-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too hope this all works out for the best for you. Some of the best things come from the worst circumstances.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you. I just want to feel normal. Although I'm not sure what normal is lol. Drinking wasn't 'normal'. Maybe I need to figure out why I don't like living in reality.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Life goes on. Just remember that it will go on a lot better if you don't drink.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Exactly. I don't ever plan on going down that road again. Ever.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cc, sometimes we can't understand things right now, but in hindsight it will all become clear. I am also not long out of a relationship, and although painful, I know that there is a bigger reason behind the break up. Ask yourself, what is this experience here to teach me? Even now, I can kind of pick up on things that could have lead me down the wrong road and made me worse off if I had stayed with that person. Always, always worry most about improving and bettering yourself. We cannot control other people or force them to stay in our lives, so we have to always make sure we're strong enough to take care of ourselves. You have this. Stay sober, stay strong.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you janiebluebird. I know that there is a reason for this.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Cc77,

Firstly welcome to SR, glad you've decided to join us.
As cliche as it sounds I'm a firm believer in "when one door closes another opens". Maybe this is an ideal opportunity for you to focus on your recovery, without other outside pressures as well.

I wish you all the best on your journey, keep in touch.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm sure it is an ideal time for me to focus on my recovery. I'm tired of alcohol taking the things that I love away from me. I guess if I were in my previous relationship I would have the same triggers. It was stressful and unpredictable place. I have finally admitted that I am a true alcoholic. I thought I could be a normal drinker since I had been clean for 2 1/2 years. I found out that is a lie that I told myself. I think that I have a lot more to work on than remaining sober. I have to remain sober with all that life throws my way. I am working on that. I want to be a better mother to my kids although I feel really disconnected to them at the moment. I feel disconnected from life. I guess it takes a while but I'm in for the long haul . Thanks for the encouraging words
Old 03-23-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cc77 View Post
I'm sure it is an ideal time for me to focus on my recovery. I'm tired of alcohol taking the things that I love away from me. I guess if I were in my previous relationship I would have the same triggers. It was stressful and unpredictable place. I have finally admitted that I am a true alcoholic. I thought I could be a normal drinker since I had been clean for 2 1/2 years. I found out that is a lie that I told myself. I think that I have a lot more to work on than remaining sober. I have to remain sober with all that life throws my way. I am working on that. I want to be a better mother to my kids although I feel really disconnected to them at the moment. I feel disconnected from life. I guess it takes a while but I'm in for the long haul . Thanks for the encouraging words
The great thing is you're not on your own with this, we are all here for you and all going through the same motions. Take one day at a time and don't put too much on yourself. Focus on not drinking firstly and the rest will happen, you're determined I can see that.

Stay in touch and post often, maybe join the class of March thread? There's a bunch of us in there who have quit this month and we offer each other daily support. You can vent about whatever, ask questions or just basic things like talk us through your day.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I would like to join the class of March thread! I need to speak and listen to people going through the same thing as me!
Old 03-23-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Certainly join CC77, we look forward to having another Sober Marcher
Old 03-23-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

How do join the class of March thread?
Old 03-23-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It's in the Newcomers to recovery section (just as this thread is) and you just post away, whatever you like CC77. Everyone will be itching to welcome you, they love a new recruit haha.