Posting Anonymously on this forum

Old 03-23-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Posting Anonymously on this forum

I've been using the forum for a month or so now and wanted to share how I use it and keep things private within my home in case it's helpful for anyone else.

- I use Safari and when I am done visiting SoberRecovery.com I go to History at the top of the browser and scroll to the bottom of the menu to hit Clear History. (this prevents sober recovery from coming up as a pre-visited URL when I or anyone else types into the URL bar.)

- I downloaded the SR app for my iPhone. THIS APP IS AMAZING! I can discreetly check in with the forum to read or post and it looks like I'm just doing any old thing on my phone. I love love love the app.

- I keep the app on page two of my app screens and I grouped it in with some other apps so it's not just standing out alone like a sore thumb saying SoberRecovery.

- I created an anonymous ***** email address that I registered with on this site since my regular email address has my full name in it. This is great too because when I get updates from SR they now go to this new ***** email address that I only use for things related to Al Anon and SR. This way I don't have to worry that someone will see an email in my inbox that says SoberRecovery when someone replies to a post I have commented on.

- If I check my ***** mail on my computer, I always sign out before closing it and I clear my Safari history too.

- I download the ***** mail app for my phone so I can get emails from my sponsor there and I keep it in the grouped app folder again so it is hiding.

- Also, in other privacy news. I deleted text conversations that I've had with my sponsor from my phone.

Just wanted to share what works for me...
Old 03-23-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Thanks, that sounds like a good way to make sure you stay private.

Thanks for sharing it here.

Hugs
Old 03-24-2013, 04:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I say this with the utmost respect if you need to take that much time clearing histories and cookies and being so worried about who sees where you have been on the net, what you are saying, who you call, you might want to reevaluate the people in your life.

There is a big difference between being anonymous on the net and removing all trace of your internet and phone usage on your own phone.

I am also tip toeing here…If you want to use this information to track a child or a partner please get yourself help fast. I know about this technology because I know someone who teaches ( not sure if they still do or finally got how sick it was) parents of users how to track them by cell and internet. It was so disturbed by this that I left that arena.
And no it is not a right to know everything your child is doing, it is a privilege.

In the interest of those in abusive situations working on getting out safely.

If you truly don’t want anyone to know what you are doing on your phone, do not share a cell phone plan ( call and text logs are accessible to the primary on the cell account) and put on a strong password that involves nothing personal, and never share it with anyone.

Cell and internet use can be tracked.
Cell phone tracking by far is the most twisted of things possible. There are apps for everything and if your phone backs up automatically, then the email, itunes/icloud all need strong passwords, because text content will be saved. Also sim cards store info as well until it is over written.

If you notice any of the following:
You are going over data usage all of a sudden and you aren‘t doing anything different, or the battery is draining faster than normal or hot when not in use, it is not shutting down fast, freezing or acting strangely at all. If it seems that an ex, or abusive/controlling partner knows too much about what you are doing or where you have been and you aren‘t sharing. First don’t panic all you need to do is backup your contacts, pictures and such and then restore your phone to factory setting. Once restored put in a password that is strong….a good password looks something like this. FZi8g5Nw1
I don’t know about iphone but there is an android app that will email you every time any app is added to your phone.

Tracking apps are sick, read here:
Tapping cell phones | Spyware | Mobile Phones | Spy Software - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

There are similar programs to track you on your computer. Again good passwords always. In the interest of identity theft, also keep your computer updated, and good virus, spyware and malware programs are imperative.

Note company computers and phones are tracked to an extent, so if you don’t want your personal browsing information known, don’t do anything personal on work devices.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I say this with the utmost respect if you need to take that much time clearing histories and cookies and being so worried about who sees where you have been on the net, what you are saying, who you call, you might want to reevaluate the people in your life.

There is a big difference between being anonymous on the net and removing all trace of your internet and phone usage on your own phone.
I understand what you're saying. My need for doing this is because I have not told my friends or my local family about the issues I am going through with my husband.

I am very free-sharing with my technology usually because I have nothing to hide...

But right now I DO have something to hide.

If they come over, it would not be unusual for them to sit at my laptop and look something up. Or ask if they can borrow my phone to look something up. Or that I might even hand them my phone to say look in my email for that coupon or whatever...

So I seek to remove all traces of things on my phone and computer related to sobriety or recovery for now because I am not ready to have that conversation with them about my husband.

Also - I have written things on this forum and to my sponsor in email and texts about my husband that are not meant for HIM to see.

I don't want him knowing that SR is a site I come to because if he got curious, or even if he decided he wanted to use it for his own purposes of learning and recovery, he could read some of the posts and see many complaints, worries, fears that I have written about him because he might recognize my writing style or some of the details of our story.

My husband has never snooped on my phone that I'm aware of, but again, I don't want to just leave things out in the open that he could find that would hurt his feelings.

I'm sharing these things about him in the name of my own recovery -- not just to be a jerk -- but some of the things I'm saying or thinking are not things I am sharing with him in the exact same way.

What I say here and what I see here, I hope it can just STAY here -- like they say in Al Anon meetings. Same for my ranty/venty texts with my sponsor.

I would rather not be in this situation with my husband having an addiction issue at all, but since I am in this situation and I'm not ready to tell my friends and family, and I would like to keep my recovery work private from my husband, this is how I manage that so I can share freely and take care of myself.

Thanks for adding your tips related to abusive partners, safety, and tracking things.