Privacy...and the open nature of this forum

Old 03-22-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Privacy...and the open nature of this forum

Here in our thriving community we take the protection of privacy very seriously. Not only the privacy of our members, but of those who are NOT members here. This forum is open to the public, and posts here can be found on internet searches. This is one of the reasons for the following SR Guideline:

3. Breaching of privacy: Solicitation of names and addresses or other personal information for commercial purposes or, in the case of minors, for any purpose. Revealing personal information, including e-mail addresses, about other members that would identify them in the real world and which they have not otherwise made public online. This includes posting the contents of emails, private messages, private phone conversations, private letters, and/or any other private information that has not been shared on the forums by the member/non-member personally.

Do not post offline personal contact information (ie. your home address, phone numbers, email address etc.) and do not ask for personal information from others. Modify your member profile in the Control Panel at the top left corner of the forum to set privacy settings for your account. Use of full names (your first and last name) is allowed but strongly discouraged. This is to protect your security and identity.
I have placed in bold the specific passage I am referring to this evening as a reminder to all our members. There have been many posts lately which have included part or all of letters or e-mails or other communications that have been received from someone else. In the interest of everyone's privacy, please remember that although you can discuss a message you have received, posting its contents here could provide information by which a member or non-member could be identified. Also, I can only just imagine how I would feel if a private letter I had written was posted on an open internet forum.

Thank you all! Peace in the valley!!

Last edited by Seren; 05-17-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Great reminder, Seren. Thanks!

Last edited by Seren; 11-23-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Thanks for that. Sometimes I see people post parts or all of an email or text message or letter from a non member and it just makes me feel like I'm spying and don't even read it. I think it's in very poor taste to post stuff like that, and that's coming from a poor taste poster too!
Old 03-23-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am guilty of this...and as soon as I posted the email, I wanted to "take it back" for that very reason. Is there a way to delete the thread?

Also..is there a way to change my username so that it isn't so identifiable? The online community wouldn't be able to identify me, but stupid me...if my AH were to ever go googling...I probably wouldn't be hard to find.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

If anyone has a particular concern over a post and believe they or someone else could be identified by that post, please do not hesitate to 'report' it. Just click on the triangle with the exclamation point in it directly under your username and avatar. We will take care of it!
Old 03-23-2013, 07:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I also want to change my username.. When I set it up, I was in so much grief about everything, that I wasn't thinking clearly at all. It is my sister's name and I feel like a lot of people could identify me from it if they read some of my posts with the details of my life. If they identify me, they would be able to identify exabf which possibly could affect his job. Is it possible to change the username?
Old 03-23-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I sent you a PM as well
Old 04-24-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I am bumping this because I have seen an increase in the number of messages, texts, and e-mails posted here that our members have received from someone else.

Please understand this is to protect your privacy as well as the privacy of non-members.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

be safe sr peoples!
Old 05-17-2013, 03:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Bump
Old 05-17-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would like to change my username as well. I didn't realize when I signed up that it could possibly traced back to me.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I sent you a PM, too

Last edited by Seren; 11-23-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Seren

please PM me as well regarding changing usernames.

Last edited by Seren; 11-23-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

**bumps the corner of the table** ouch!
Old 05-17-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Don't hurt yourself, Maggie!
Old 05-17-2013, 08:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Seren, I also would like to change my username. Please let me know how I may do so.

Last edited by Seren; 11-23-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

((S)) thank you for this!

For those who want to change their screen name, I recommend pm'ing ((Anna)). Though I'm sure others can do it, I do know she is quite efficient with this.

As far as privacy? I know that if you google my screen name, my SR posts will come up. However, no one in my life KNOWS my screen name My family knows I have this "recovery board thing" with some amazing people, but they don't know how to find me.

I have many friends, here, we e-mail, we are on FB, and we are here. For me? What is said in private, stays private. I owe my 6+ years in recovery to SR. However, it is my "safe place" and I do what I need to do to keep it that way.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

Last edited by Seren; 11-23-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello Jewel, I sent you a PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

There's an option to tweet the threads... how does that keep things private?
Old 05-18-2013, 07:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by TemporaryUser View Post
There's an option to tweet the threads... how does that keep things private?
A lot of us were unhappy with that development in the forums when it was added. Apparently, though, it is here to stay. I don't like it. Yes, it is possible to search the forums, and anyone could copy and paste and quote posts, but the invitation to do that seems to me inappropriate.

Just my opinion.