Trouble grasping the 'higher power' idea

Old 03-22-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trouble grasping the 'higher power' idea

Hi everyone.
I have been able to complete step one with very little trouble. However, I am stuck on step two. I am having a hard time figuring out who/what my higher power is. This is not surprising to me as I am agnostic. I also have a very limited view of a 'higher power', I imaging God-the one talked about in all the holy books-the one I do not subscribe to.
Going to meetings, I have been able to hear others describe their higher power in other ways: divine mother and father, group conscious, etc.

Does anyone have any 'alternative' views of a higher power?
I am sure I am overcomplicating this!
Thank you in advance!
Old 03-22-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had a hard time with this one as well. I'm catholic but stopped believing in God for a long time. I'm back believing in him again. But, when I was "lost" I made my physical body and mind my higher power. How? I find that our body/brain are so amazing, I want to see how far I can perfect it. I read about brain science, I read about our body's resiliency and how amazing it can recover from just about anything! I'm in a quest to be in the best shape of my life and to beat my anxiety/depression/addiction by "manipulating" my brain chemistry, my mind, and my physical abilities. I made a promise to myself that I will not take another painpill and will find other natural ways to feel euphoria, excitement, peace, etc. This is what I try to do every single day. I imagine all my little brain cells working hard to produce my "feel good" chemicals and I know that If I took even one pill, those efforts would have to start ALL OVER AGAIN! The amazing thing is, I truely found God again while on this scientific quest. Go Figure!
Old 03-22-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

One I have heard is:
Good Orderly Directions (aka the steps, the old timers' experience and the slogans).
Another one is Group Of Drunks. (aka your AA home group).
At the end of the day it's about being humble enough to realize that I am not all mighty and powerful and that if there is a God, it's certainly not me.

Have a good and sober week end
Old 03-22-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you Fit! I appreciate the response.
The only thing I have heard in a meeting so far that kinda made sense to me is the group conscious idea. That we have great power together...
I too like your idea, I do think that the human brain possessed great power and improvements can be made (to mine in particular! hah)
Old 03-22-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There is a God and I'm not it. That has been the foundation of my spiritual program since the beginning. It really doesn't have to be any more specific than that.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello,millieh

I copied and pasted this from a sticky here at this site, http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ependents.html

Text from Step 2:

A Power Greater than Ourselves

We don't have to have all the answers about a Power greater than ourselves. You don't have to have any answers at all. This step is simply about believing that the insanity can be removed - even if just for a moment. It is referred to as a "Power greater than ourselves" so that anyone of any religion or denomination can use the 12 steps. It is a spiritual process, not a religious one. "Great care must be taken to allow individuals the freedom to explore and determine their own spiritual beliefs."

Working the steps has a natural progression and as you change and grow, you help others, and then they help others. "This is the most exciting part of recovery for me. It's also a part I need to remember. I don't have to force or control my recovery. I can do my best to work the Steps and peacefully allow change to happen."

I hope this is helpful for you, as it is for me.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am having a hard time figuring out who/what my higher power is.
Understanding your higher power, being able to define it, etc. is not a part of this step. The point is that you realize there is some other higher power out there, and you seek to get in alignment with that power. Defining that power may be something you NEVER do. Others will have a defined higher power from day 1.

I reccomend that you read the book Came to Believe, which is an AA approved book that has the personal stories of several AA members and how they overcame their reluctance on step 2 and 3.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is something I've had a really hard time with and I think myself in circles. I do not mean to offend anyone at all, I just wish to lay out my thought process, maybe someone else has had similar thoughts and can share how they overcame it...

1) I don't agree with organized religion, I find the notion absurd that humans can say what the word of god is, when god created them, it feels backwards to me.

2) When I think of god I think of organized religion, if I try to break that chain I accuse myself of bending gods word to fit my own needs, which is the same thing organized religion does in my eyes, i'm getting nowhere.

3) Being raised as a Christian I still have that fear in me, the fear that I will go to hell for asking such questions.

4) This fear keeps me from exploring alternative higher powers, what if I make up a character from fiction? A strong and caring person who I can use as an HP? Or what if I used the universe, or mother nature as some people have? This is blasphemy! If god does exist, then I am discrediting his work to save me and giving that credit to some false idol I have created. It's that fear, holding me back.

5) but if god created me then he created the thoughts within me too and he forgives my sins.

6) But once again, this is jut me trying to justify my own actions, cherry picking and bending the bible to fit my own needs, while ignoring the parts I don't like... I'm back at square one again.

7) But wait a minute, I don't believe in god anyways right? Then why do I feel so afraid to approach this subject at all?

So really I feel like fear is what holds me back. I don't really believe... but then again how do I KNOW? How do I know that I'm not committing some mortal sin and that I won't be punished? How can I know for sure if it's okay for me to take the image of god as I've been taught, tear that down and create my own? I feel shame, I feel guilt, I feel like I'm committing some sort of wrong. It's irrational, and maybe even a little silly, but I can't be the only person who has been stuck in this loop. And it's not entirely DEFINING a higher power, but just thinking about the subject period. Any time I think of higher power, the negative images of organized religion automatically bleed over and ruin it for me.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey,

I wouldn't be too confident about that idea either. There are other ways to overcome addictions starting from seeing your GP. Your GP can then refer you to a psychologist, and then he/she can work through the problems with you one on one.

If I couldn't do that and had to attend meetings, my higher power would be science. From my understanding, 'higher power' is anything more powerful than yourself.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The importance here is not to understand God, or to be able to define or name Him or she or it or them or whatever. The importance is willingness. Are you willing to believe that there is a power greater than you that can help you get well? As soon as you have the willingness you are well on your way. The only true roadblock in moving to step 3 is the complete refusal to believe in any power greater than you, which if true, means you're in big trouble if the 1st step applies to you.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I got stuck on Step 2 for years. I never got it.

It was suggested that I try making a door know or rock my higher power. I gave it a try, but when I was honest I realized it was not something I could accept.

I heard it suggested that the group be my higher power, but I could not find a group that I could imagine trusting like that. They were just too unstable and too troubled.

However, the search to wrap my head around Step 2 taught me a lot about myself. So I cannot say I regret the time I spent on it.

I came close to lying and saying I had Steps 2 and 3 so I could get on to Step 4 and work with my sponsor. But I had to be honest and commit to being honest in recovery--so these steps gave me a lot I am grateful for (even if I never achieved them).
Old 05-11-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A friend shared with me that at first the ceiling was her HP. She chuckled and admitted the ceiling was above her and she knew she just had to start somewhere. Eventually she settled on To Whom it May Concern, allowing the human inability to know God be foremost in her HP.

I just selected Stella Maris. It is an ancient name for Mary and Polaris. This dual identity title works for me. I am a seafarer seeking guidance. There is no doubt about that. I wish you all the best in your journey.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Power to me means wisdom. As we continue to work the steps, we gradually become aware that something wiser, clearer, and stronger may be helping us move forward. Some refer to the power as nature, others the group, others God, etc., don't try to force it, just try to accept where you are. The answers will come for you; just keep sharing and coming back.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Ryno032709

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Taking5 View Post
Understanding your higher power, being able to define it, etc. is not a part of this step. The point is that you realize there is some other higher power out there, and you seek to get in alignment with that power. Defining that power may be something you NEVER do. Others will have a defined higher power from day 1.
The above comment by Taking5 makes a lot of sense and I believe this to also be true. I was at a meeting one time where a agnostic spoke and he presented the following which was his solution to getting close to his higher power:

"There is a music playing in this room right now. We cant hear it right now because we dont have a radio or were not tuned into the right station. God is like a radio station: you have to be listening in order to hear and even if at first you hear static keep tuning in and youll hear the music."